Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently drained the A/t on the beast and refilled it with 3.5 qts of dextron lll. Well after a good 30 min drive I checked the level w/engine running and cycled from P to L and back and it barely touch the "cold " marking. So Added another qt to make 4.5 qts. After another drive checked it again and its on cold. How much fluid will this machine take?? Im afraid of overservicing it ,should I keep on adding fluid till it gets to "HOT" by that time I would believe I would used up to 6 quarts . Am I doing something wrong here??

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you did a complete flush of all ATF and are doing a dry fill now, the capacity is 8.5 qt if yours is 2WD and 7.4 qt if 4WD. 3.5 quarts would be the refill capacity if you just drained the pan. If that's what you did then I would keep adding until you see the right amount on the dipstick. Maybe it was low before and that's why it's taking more now.

If you have 4WD, two other fluids you could consider changing out if you haven't already are the transfer case and rear differential.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to mention it was a 2wd. It was an oil pan/filter change. the reason I maybe too careful is the former owner had overserviced it,I mean it was way past the hot mark and after a long drive there was transmission fluid splashed on the drivers side of the engine. So I gather there is X amount of fluid left in the rest of the tranny and its up to the owner to augment the reminder while the transmission is hot. Does that sound correct?? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That's my understanding, yes. If the engine and transmission are at operating temperature, you're parked on a level surface with the parking brake on and engine idling, and you've run the gearshift from P to L and back to P, the fluid level should be in the HOT range on the dipstick. If not, you have to add fluid.

Since the pan & filter hold 3.5 qt, but after your drain you were able to put in 4.5 qt so far, to me that says it was already at least a quart low. So you'll have to make up that difference now with extra ATF until the level is right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts