Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, it's the novice. Has anyone turbo charged their 97 Rav. I am thinking of adding turbo but it has a lot of miles on it so i'm not sure if it would be a wise thing at this point, or should i rebuild the engine first or does it matter? Secondly what modifications would i have to do first if any? :?

Once again thanks in advance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Honestly, I don't think anyone here has put a turbo on the 3s-fe. As far as rebuilding is concerned, it depends on how much power you want to make. If I remember right, anything less than 8 lbs of boost and you should be okay if everything is in working order.

I've been told many times by many others if you want to go turbo, get yourself the 3S-GTE from a celica or MR2. JDM is best if you don't have emissions checks in your area. If I do end up going turbo, that is how I will do it on my '96. I may just stick to mildly modified on my RAV and go all out on a more proven platform. (Still contemplating on what vehicle though. Maybe a 350Z?)

I'm sure others will give their opinions as well.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Well, the first thing you should do is check the condition of the engine. Have each cylinder pressure checked. I think it should be around 200 lbs. each (check Haynes). Also check the engine for oil leaks. I would go so far as taking off the cylinder cover to see how much gunk their is. But that's me.

Turbo kits can be found on EBay. Also check rav4oz.com. I think they have a connection with AVO Turbo. Also, Pettite racing in Florida, but I don't think they have it available, but you can always check. The AVO turbo kit is a ready to install kit. The rest are a Go To... deal. I got one with almost all you need. Is it for sale? No. Some day I even plan to install it, the right way.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Wonder where you got most of this stuff Mensa... :p

My RAV was turbocharged for a very short bit, ran into some fuel management issues, and my stock clutch was fried on the dyno... (don't know if it was just it's time, or it couldn't handle the power, or both :shock: )

I basically have everything again to turbocharge it again, but the problem is with fuel management, tuning, and making sure you don't get check engine light for map code, being OBDII it is very sensitive to any changes.... There are some options for these issues but they are not cheap....

Also if you aren't familiar with all the concepts or don't have a spare vehicle as well, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself or parting a kit together.... It may be worth spending the extra thousands to have a more reliable vehicle, but be aware that even with the proper management and tuning, things can still go wrong....

Good luck with whatever you decide....

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
drewden, DJ Sueno is the guy that got me some of the stuff I got. Which include the Injectors, 3SGTE Oil Pan, Some oil lines, and the HKS BOV. I think you should listen to him. He has a lot of good knowledge regarding turbocharging the 3SFE engine. BTW, those are Supra injectors. Same used on the 5SFE turbo Camry from Seattle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts