Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone first time here and have some questions. I have a 98 rav 4 awd auto. My motor is blown so I'm trying to think would be the best swap and easiest for me. I read that thread about some doing doing the 5sfe and he said it was a lot better on hills and we're I live that would be perfect. I'm starting my research now and I'm really leaning towards the 5sfe, is it really that easy of a swap? His was a maneul and mines and auto, would that make it harder? Thank you for your time. Bought my rav about 2 weeks ago and then a week later the the oil light came on and the motor has a bad knock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! I'm going to start looking for one, I think that extra low end torque will be better since I have a lot of hills around me in Missouri. The previous owner definitely did a number on me, said it was a good car nope the motor is terrible and he said he did th timing built and that was a lie. I know I should have checked better but now I have it so I'm going to make it mine.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
The knock is most likely that he/she didn't properly tension the timing belt and it jumped on the timing pulley making your engine way out of timing which would cause a knock possibly bad knocking. This is a common problem even for folks that do it often. Before you go through the expense of an engine transplant, check the timing belt and don't run it until you check it out.

This is your most likely problem.

To get it back into time:
1) Remove the belt
2) Remove the spark plug in cylinder 1, (the cylinder closest to the timing belt)
3) Slowly place a long screwdriver into the cylinder and turn the crankshaft by hand clockwise till the screwdriver is at it's highest point, look at the marks on the harmonic balancer to see that it is also aligned at TDC.
4) Check the position of the cam, I found that putting a toothpick in the small hole on the cam pulley, that you can feel the indentation. You are now at TDC on the drive shaft and the camshaft is properly aligned.
5) Put the belt on keeping everything in alignment.
6) There is a specific method for properly tensioning the belt, follow those procedures exactly or you will be doing it again!

This is greatly simplified, make sure you have a manual.

Have fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took it to a dealership and had a mechanic check it out and they said that it has a bearing that's going, I changed the oil and put some moa in it and it's quieted it up a bit but I'm still going to put a new motor in it because I know the motor is going to be toast anytime now

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Thanks eodgator for the help! Are you eod as in bomb squad?
Yes, retired from USAF EOD in 1996. I still do what we call UXO (Unexploded Ordnance) work, although I've been out of all of it for a little while due to a family health issues.

Mechanics aren't always right, get a second opinion. I had timing belt slap and a mechanic told me it had a bearing going, I checked the sound out on youtube where someone had recorded different engine sounds, and I was pretty sure had timing belt slap so I did a timing belt/water pump/oil pump, tensioner pulley replacement and it was resolved. I'm not saying it's not a bearing, but if someone just did a timing belt job and it starts knocking it's usually because the belt wasn't tensioned right and jumped. I would check that unless you just want to replace the engine.

BTW, I have friends that are wrench turners for dealers, they are influenced by the dealership to give you bad news like that so that you will buy a vehicle or spend a lot of money unnecessarily.

If you want to boost HP take a look at a redtop Beams 3SGE engine which cranks out about 200 to 210 horsepower naturally aspirated. The 3SGE will bolt right up to your tranny. You can find them, low mileage for about $900 to $1500.

Reactions: bravo3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's for the help eod! I didn't even think of that. I just retired from Air Force in October, I'm prior security forces. I'll get another set of eyes on it and see what they say and I'll I'll shoot a video and post it if I have time. I was looking into the 3sge too I just thought it was a harder swap, but I think I'll look into that as well just to give myself more options. Thanks for replying!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Reactions: bravo3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your service! And I really mean that too, I always thought eod were bad asses! Thanks for the link I'll check that out. I plan on starting the swap in about 2 weeks. First I'm going to check out the timing, I definitely think that's worth looking at and save me time and money

1 - 11 of 11 Posts