Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need the key to remove wheel lugs. Just realized recently I don't have this socket tool (bought it used last Nov 05). Is there a place I can get one based on the VIN #, etc.? or is this a standard key for the 98 models w/factory allows?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do you mean the socket tool to remove the wheels?
It might be in the little storage area next to the back seats.
Otherwise you can buy one at every car parts shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheel Lock key (socket)

There is one wheel lock (special pattern keyed lug nut) on each wheel. This one must be removed before the other regulars can be removed. There is a special socket for this one lug....and I am missing it from the vehicle. Just wondering where I might find one to match the vehicle (looks like a flower-like pattern inset on the locking lug). I can't imagine that this is specific to my 98 RAV, not sure though. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
You're correct... they are NOT vehicle specific. Looks like you'll probably need to go to a tire shop to have them take them off :?

If they are the OEM locks... chances are they are made by McGard. You SHOULD have a registration card somewhere in your vehicle, maybe with the owner's manual. If you can find the card... you can order a replacement KEY from McGard :arrow: http://www.mcgard.com/custserv/

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I suspect the previous owner of your RAV took the car to a tire shop and the workers forgot to put it back into the vehicle. I always make sure that when I leave the tire shop, that the lock key is in my possession. :thumbs_up:

Another idea, is to possibly engrave the new wheel lock with your phone #, in the off-chance that the shop does find it laying around. They will be able to call you to pick it up. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
RAVMAN said:
You're correct... they are NOT vehicle specific. Looks like you'll probably need to go to a tire shop to have them take them off :?

If they are the OEM locks... chances are they are made by McGard. You SHOULD have a registration card somewhere in your vehicle, maybe with the owner's manual. If you can find the card... you can order a replacement KEY from McGard :arrow: http://www.mcgard.com/custserv/
Kelly,

What's the part # for our RAV?

They all have footnote #12 >>> " Not for use on OEM aluminum wheels." :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts