Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find information anywhere on transmission fluid change on my RAV4.
It is a stick shift 4WD. I had its trans/transfer case fluid changed at 169k miles. I now have 190k on it 8 months later and I have put the car through hell on mountains in the last few weeks and feel like I need to change fluids. I have heard that the trans and transfercase are built together so I need to change fluid only at one location.

Anybody has any instructions? videos? Links? websites?
I could not find info on this website for a 1998.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The rear is easy. The drain is easy enough to find on the rear diff, the filler (be sure to get this open first) is on the right (passenger) side. I believe it was a 10 MM hex. It is tight in there with the axle and exhaust, but you can do it.

It's been a while since I did the front, but I believe there are two drains and one filler. I had to take off the plastic sheet that protects the underside of the engine. If it stops raining today, I will get out the camera so you can see - but once you start poking around under there, it's pretty obvious.

was it one drain and two fillers? I know they share the oil, but I can remember. Hopefully someone will chime in and confirm.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yep, remove the larger engine cover and look for 3 15/16" or 24mm nuts, 2 are drains and 1 is the filler. The other bolts are smaller so easy to find. Try and use a 12 point socket, less chance of rounding one off if too tight.

Luckily my filler had writing on it telling me to read the manual and it's at the front par way up.

Haven't done it yet as my drain pan is still full of engine oil.

The 10mm bolts on the cover were a pain to remove, had to use lots of WD40 and had to drill one out and retap it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I put this video together a while back, the MT box shares oil between the transfer case and main case, you just have to drain both because there is a level partition inside the box that would trap a good quantity of used oil otherwise

Reactions: Caconym and RAV4EVR

·
Registered
599 Posts
The rear is easy. The drain is easy enough to find on the rear diff, the filler (be sure to get this open first) is on the right (passenger) side. I believe it was a 10 MM hex. It is tight in there with the axle and exhaust, but you can do it.

It's been a while since I did the front, but I believe there are two drains and one filler. I had to take off the plastic sheet that protects the underside of the engine. If it stops raining today, I will get out the camera so you can see - but once you start poking around under there, it's pretty obvious.

was it one drain and two fillers? I know they share the oil, but I can remember. Hopefully someone will chime in and confirm.
The manual trans has one filler and 2 drains, since the box shares oil with the transfer case, the autos have the transfer case separated completely since it still uses hypoid gear oil, not ATF, and thus has its own filler and drain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The manual trans has one filler and 2 drains, since the box shares oil with the transfer case, the autos have the transfer case separated completely since it still uses hypoid gear oil, not ATF, and thus has its own filler and drain.
Thanks for the clarification, Aussie. I really enjoyed all of your Rav4 videos, even watched some of the ones where you're poking around with random hunks of machinery. Found them quite entertaining.

·
Registered
599 Posts
No worries mate!, if you like odd machinery, I am working on a playlist of odd and obscure machinery on my main channel page (flight recorders, radar etc)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts