Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just bought this rav4 and when I am driving I am hearing a whining whistle metal on metal type windish noise lol .I only hear it when I am at about medium gas peddle/throttle if I drive slow don't really hear it it might be there but not noticeable but at about half throttle it is loud . I am pretty sure its not doing it when parked and given throttle not positive cause the motor is pretty loud when given that much throttle so kinda hard to say. I am pretty sure I need a new valve cover gasket cause it has small oil leak and I did a starter fluid vacuum test and idle wouldn`t change . it shifts fine and motor seems to run good drives very good it is a awd model and automatic trans trans fluid seems good .I don't hear the noise when I am rolling and it seems to make the sound in any gear ideas suggestions answers would be greatly appreciated . please help

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sounds like my 1998, I get a high frequency whistle sound under acceleration, not when coasting, idling etc. I never figured out what it was, but it does not affect the operation of the vehicle.

The only thing I suspected it might be is resonation in the throttle body and intake manifold assembly.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Long ago, in a different vehicle, I had a whistling due to a plugged-up catalytic converter. The car was very sluggish too.

Could be many things. Without more info, I don't know that we can offer the OP much help. Some folk post a video, with great sound, on YouTube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I am thinking the front of the car as far as where it's coming from not positive that it is the engine but it's loud so kinda hard to tell people no when I am coming lol from I had a guy in another forum suggest maybe a u joint but I have never had a u joint go bad on me so I figured I would crawl under today and inspect it .but I was kinda thinking maybe a bearing from what it sounds like .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies by the way as far as that cat goes the exhaust seems to be flowing good and it's not sluggish it's driving very good

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any luck sourcing the cause of the noise? I also get a whistling noise only when i accelerate hard on to highway ect. Runs perfect other then that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts