Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
* AM1 nothing on the left side of the fuse and 12 V on the right ( key in ON position )
Did you leave the fuses installed when you did the checks above? With fuse AM1 installed, both sides of AM1 should show 12 volts at all times (regardless of the position of the ignition key).

Would you please remove fuse AM1 and check it for continuity?

If you do not know how to do a continuity check, then post back and let me know.

on this model there are no automatic windows, ABS, air condition
Great, then I think this explains why there is no Power Relay installed.

·
Registered
638 Posts
( and I confirm the generator is not charging the battery, let the car [run, engine on] for 30 min and the voltage on the battery was dropping )
Next test:
Remove the ignition key.

Completely disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery terminal.

Completely disconnect the positive battery cable from the positive battery terminal.

The above steps take the battery out of the picture. With the battery out of the picture, now you can SAFELY do some checks for "grounds." Checks for grounds must be done with both terminals of the battery disconnected. If both terminals are not disconnected, then the chances are good you will break something.

Remove fuse AM1 and set it aside. Set your multimeter up for continuity checks. Touch one probe of the multimeter to one side of fuse AM1. Touch the other probe of the multimeter to a clean body ground spot. Is there continuity? If so, then you just found at least one problem.

Leave fuse AM1 removed and your multimeter, set up for continuity checks. Touch one probe to the other side of fuse AM1. Tough the other probe to a clean body ground spot. Is there continuity?

If you do not know how to do continuity checks, then please post a photo of your multimeter, and I will look it up to give you directions. (I hope this is not disrespectful. Whether a stranger understands electrical principles is hard to tell over the internet. But I can tell you have a handle on either a lot or all of this and are following along on the electrical diagrams. You might find the problem soon, or identify other tests, without my help.)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jenki, I still say you have a fusible link problem. That is why it is not charging!

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello team,
I think we found the problem, the AM1 fuse was blown (
I remember at the beginning that the first thing I did was to remove and check all the fuses, I did not notice that AM1 was blown, maybe I miss it,
I don't understand, ) ,

now all the system are back, the alternator seems to charge the battery again,

thank you very very much for all the help,

now that I am in all those wires, I would like ( if you agree and give me your ''benediction'') to remove the dash and check all the cables,

I have also another question, the engine is becoming old ( more than 350 000 km), still running fine, but not very powerfull sometimes ( having trouble climbing a hill for instance ),
so what could be a good idea replace part in the engine ( valve, gasket. rings....) or replace for another engine ( could we put another engine more powerful as a 2.2L, 2.3L ….)

( thank you again a lot [U][LEFT][B][SIZE=4][FONT=Helvetica Neue][COLOR=rgb(205, 67, 66)]Elle_Rav4[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/LEFT][/U] for taking time to explain everything with details, no worry about
electrical concept,
I am pretty familiar with them, younger I got a degree in electronic and telecommunication : ),

see you,

take care

·
Registered
638 Posts
But what caused Fuse AM1 to blow? I realize it could be just old age. But given some other strange problems the electrical system was displaying, I am not sure this is over yet. I trust you will post back.

The only engine swap about which I have any clues is a JDM engine swap. It's the same size engine (2.0 liter). They're low mileage because of Japan's strict emissions laws. There are folks here who are way more educated than I am on the topic in general.

Unless mice are getting into your dashboard, wires rarely fail except at connection points. But if you want to see what's in there and do some checks, go to it. I know the left side of the dash is not too hard to disassemble. I have had the instrument cluster out a few times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello, thank you again very much, I was really interesting to dive into those electronic plans, It has been a while ago I didn't do that ( it remember me when I was student), and you are right : it is not over,

actually I lost
1)the High beam light and
2) the light when I pull down the handbrake ( not sure how to call this light, who know the light we have automatically when we start the car and move),

otherwise the car is working fine, when I turn the light switch, I can get the ''normal light'' for driving by night,

I checked the head light fuses under the Hood, they are correct,

thank you very much for any suggestion :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello thank you very much again for all the informations,
actually I didn't express myself well, it is the light in the front of the car when we release the handbrake, I did a research for the correct name it is ( I think ) parking light or running light,

so parking / running light not working + high beam light

( I will too remove the center console just check all the wires and clean all the gunk )

thank you again

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi, he got a lot of raining days recently, so I didn't get a chance to work a lot on the car, I removed all the dash, and the central console too ( very dusty from all those years ), I am going to clean all that and reinstall it ( when the weather will be better ), about the the hight beam light ( and daytime running blght), I found this electric plan, should I begin by checking the daytime running relay first, thank you very much, have a good day

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
I do not have anything intelligent to add other than the following. I'd be checking wiring diagrams so I can look for failed intermediate parts (like relays, yes); looking for fuses that may have been blown recently; and use my mulitmeter for ground checks. Do the ground checks with both battery terminals (positive and negative) disconnected.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am really so grateful for all your help and taking your time to reply,
I will do some tests and let you know what I will find,
Thank you very much

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello team, just about the High beam light, iff that may be helful for someone else, finally I found that the problem was coming from the DIM relay ( but is not over yet, now I have only the turn signal not working )

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello, the turn signal were not working because the hazard switch is removed ( I am cleaning the dash), hazard signal and turn signal system are ''independent'' of each other but they both need the hazard switch to work

Attachments

41 - 55 of 55 Posts