Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened several times... I would turn off my vehicle & take the key out of the ignition & my Rav continues to run. :shock:
At first it eventually would turn off, but then it wouldn't shut off at all. 2 weeks ago, my brother was able to shut it off by turning the key aggressively.
It stalled the next morning. AAA came out and said it was the ignition switch, but when a tow truck came by the next day... the battery was dead.
I took it to a mechanic & they installed a NEW battery. It hasn't happened since.
IS it going to happen again? And, has anyone had this problem with their RAV4??? or is mine wicked hexed? :twisted: help?!?!

·
Registered
881 Posts
yield4ducks said:
This has happened several times... I would turn off my vehicle & take the key out of the ignition & my RAV continues to run. :shock:
At first it eventually would turn off, but then it wouldn't shut off at all. 2 weeks ago, my brother was able to shut it off by turning the key aggressively.
It stalled the next morning. AAA came out and said it was the ignition switch, but when a tow truck came by the next day... the battery was dead.
I took it to a mechanic & they installed a NEW battery. It hasn't happened since.
IS it going to happen again? And, has anyone had this problem with their RAV4??? or is mine wicked hexed? :twisted: help?!?!
Normally when this happens there are two possibilities, an electrical problem or "dieseling" which means that your engine has so much carbon built up in it that it glows red hot and even without spark from the spary plugs it keeps firing the cylinders.

In this case it sounds like it was the switch, especially if it killed the battery. Simply replacing the battery wouldn't fix that, but maybe they also fixed a shorted out whire somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts