Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm new here and never really posted on forums, just always read them to get an answer, but I'm not having any luck with my current issue. I just purchased a 99 Rav4 L and I love everything about it, except I"ve noticed it doesnt go into 4th gear when its cold. I would drive it on the freeway and it'll reach 4k RPM's before I decide to lower down the RPM and do 55-60 MPH on the right side of the freeway. I have also noticed the transmission would catch randomly when it's cold. I've began the practice of letting the vehicle idle to warm up before I hit the road. If I do that, then seems like I'm smooth sailing with no problems.
If anyone could pitch some suggestions, that'd be greatly appreciated. I know little about cars, but I know how to work with my hands really well. Thanks all and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not sure but some cars delay the shifting until the trans fluid warms up. My Acura TL does this. Check the owners manual to be sure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Agree with piratefan, my Audi (s-tronic/DSG) and Mercedes (toque converter) both do the same, especially when very cold. You could try a transmission fluid and filter change though just in case it's blocked up/grungy in there.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yup, it's a normal feature to force the engine to warm up faster. This is for emissions and fuel economy reasons as the faster the engine warms up, the shorter the time the engine needs to run on the richer cold start mixture. Toyota started doing this in the late 90s across many models and it was done somewhat inelegantly so it was obvious to the driver. Later models do the same thing but it seems more smoothly executed and is less obvious to the driver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep,mine does this also,holds 3rd gear at like just under 4000rpm for approx a 1/2 mile and then kicks
up to 4th.I thought it was strange myself and abrubt but i guess normal.I live just off hwy so i notice it more
as i have to get up to hwy speed pretty quick.IF i dident have to do that i think it wouldent be as noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts