Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend bought a 1999 Rav4 and it leaks oil when the engine is running. I'm going to take the timing belt cover off this weekend to get a better look. After searching the forums and reading other posts, it seems like it's the oil pump gasket (won't be 100% until I look but...).

My question is... do I need any special tools to take the timing belt pulley off? As long as I mark the timing belt so I can put it back on, can this job be done at home? I do not have air tools, just standard/metric socket set and wrenches.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,114 Posts
Good news, no special tools required, that said, if you don't have one, rent a torque wrench it's really easy to shear off those small bolts. While you're there get a timing belt kit with water pump, gaskets, tensioner pulleys, springs, and of course timing belt, you'll be glad you did while you were in there so you don't have to do that job again for a while. It could be the oil pump, crankshaft seal, and or the cam shaft seal.

Getting the engine mount off without damaging the cover is the biggest challenge.

Not going through a step by step procedure here for everything but to break the crankshaft bolt loose, perform the following steps...
1) Make sure your timing belt is still installed, if not, reinstall, making sure you put it on properly.
2) Recommend using a pneumatic 1/2" drive 14mm socket and a 1/2" breaker bar, wedge the breaker bar into the control arm, put the socket on the crankshaft bolt turn the harmonic balancer until you can attach the breaker bar into the socket.
3) Ensure the breaker bar is securely wedged.
4) If you disconnected the battery, reconnect.
5) Disable the ignition (you don't want to start the engine) in other words disconnect the spark plugs or disconnect the crankshaft position sensor.
6) Turn the engine over briefly twice.
7) Check to see if it broke the crank bolt loose, if not try again (I've never had to try again)
8) Now before you remove the camshaft pulley or the harmonic balancer, make sure the engine is at top dead center (TDC).
This will save you lots of frustration and your girlfriend won't learn your full curse word vocabulary. LOL

Be carefull with the crankshaft pulley if you bend of break those pins the crankshaft sensor won't work properly. Already did that once.

Get a good manual that will walk you through most of it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
For both of my 4.1s, yes -- a HD air gun (and metric impact sockets) were required to get the crank bolt out. From their website, this is the one I had to run out and buy:

"Item # 00919864000P Model # 19864 Craftsman Professional 1/2 in. Impact Wrench"

Doing the timing belt, etc. is not super easy on these 4.1s if you don't have the tools, jack/stands, garage, and time. A factory service manual (FSM) would help a lot too.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,114 Posts
I have pneumatic impact tools and I couldn't break the crank/harmonic balancer nut free on my 99. I then tried my old and proven method of wedging a 1/2" drive breaker bar into the control arm, installing the 24mm impact socket, disconnecting the spark plug wires, and turning the engine over. Works everytime on any vehicle (just different size sockets), no muss, no fuss. Just make sure you disconnect those plug wires, you don't want it to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies!

Gonna bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic.

She lives in an apartment complex and I would be working in a parking lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts