Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 99 rav 4 4wd 4dr
everything is perfect on the vehicle
but its really slow compared to my 93 altima which i thought was the slowest thing cuz the transmission was on its way out

we checked out a bunch of other rav4s but this was the only won we test drove and other than the lack of power we loved it

do all these cars lack power or is it something i should worry about?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You may want to do a tune up, but don't expect neck snapping acceleration out of these. Our '97 is a dog too. There just doesn't seem to be an rpm sweet spot.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I bought my 2000 in November, and yes, there isn't a lot under the hood. Part of the blame also goes to the transmission, because unless you have the ECT button pushed in, the auto shifts economically and shifts up too early at times when you wanted a little more acceleration in a lower gear.

But I generally find it OK around town because you're usually not asking too much of it in city driving. It's when you do try to dig deep for more power, like trying to pass out on the highway, that you realise there isn't really anything more there. When you floor it it revs its brains out but your speed doesn't increase very quickly.
Just something you have to adjust your driving style to. I really like everything else about the way it drives and handles so I can live with the lack of power.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is why you have to get the 5 speed in a Rav .
Any 2 litre or smaller , 4 cylinder vehicle that has an auto transmission will be a dog .
Especially if you factor in the extra weight of it being an SUV .

You can pull longer shifting points w/the 5 spd then you can with the auto's , this makes it "zippyer" .
The 5 spd has the benefit of engine compression braking as well .
With the 5 spd , I actually find that the motor's sweet spot is at 4000-4500 RPM .
It pulls a little harder there (maybe it's my K&N filter ? ) .

Don't give me the " I can't drive a manual excuse" ....
Nobody could when they first started .
Take a lesson or two and it will be a skill you will have for life .

When I got my first Rav 2 years ago , it was my first standard since 1984 .
After getting the feel of the clutches shifting point , I had it down pat .
It's just like riding a bike :wink:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know how to drive standard
my first car was an '87 rx-7 fastback (non-turbo)
perfect 50/50 weight distribution
5sp hydraulic transmision

i guess i gotta just live with the fact that there is barely anything under the hood

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Same here, my other car right now is a 5-speed, but we wanted an automatic RAV. No regrets--the 5-speed version is only slightly less slow anyway. You just have to adjust your driving style to take the lack of power into account.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Having two 2000's (both automatics), I can tell you that the AWD one is noticably slower than the FWD. Extra weight & more mechanical friction. Until the price of gas went up, I was running mid-grade gas in the AWD which gave it a bit more pep.

Besides the tune up, do other standard things like checking the exhaust (e.g. is the catalytic converter plugged, oxygen sensors shot), fuel and air filters are new, and that you've removed excess dead weight from the vehicle. Then, as mentioned above, get used to driving slowly ... :?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got a 1997 RAV4 with 2.0L, 120HP engine and 5 spd tranny less than one month ago. The first and second gears is satisfy. The third one is lag. The 4th and 5th are quite disappoint. When accelate it on a short ramp to merge to a highway, I have to use the secod gear at over 6000 rmp to reach speed similar to use the third at 5000 rpm with Prelude.

Compare these two vehicles' specifications,
1997 RAV4, 5spd, 2.0L, 120HP, 130lb-ft, curb weight 2855 lb.
1986 Prelude 5spd, 2.0L, 105HP, 110lb-ft, curb weight 2355 lb.

Althoug the RAV4 has 14% more horse power and 18% more torque than the Prelude, its curb weight is 21% heavier than the Prelude. In additional, Honda traditionally design gear ratio as "sporty". Conside above fact, RAV4 should be obviously slower than the most other vehicles.

Can anybody provide elapse time of 0-60 mile (0-100km)? It will be more convinceable.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I really don't think we need 0 to 60 times to prove how slow the Rav is .
If you really want to know what slow is , try a Mazda Tribute w/a four cylinder , 5 spd .
I tried one before the Rav and can you say "slug's villle" ?
It's a much bigger and heavier SUV then the Rav and it's 2 ltr. motor does nothing for it but buzz and drone .
Makes the Rav feel like a sports car :lol:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Interesting theme guys. Yes, us 1997 RAV4.1 are dogs. ccaddy is right; the five speed has a little more power then the five auto. Let me give you guess some pointers on haw to make your RAV4 a Honda Killer. The firs and most important mode is the gear box. The 5 speed gear box is as good as the MR2. On the island, a lot of MR2 guys are looking for RAV4.1 gear boxes to change them. I've installed an engine and gear box oil cooler. It helps dissipate heat and you can feel a little more torque. Install a larger exhaust, about 2 1/4. Their is a Flowmaster muffler which is the exact measurements as the [wait, I'm just getting started let me pop in a JAZZ CD, OK, The best of Jean Luc-Ponty, yea] TRD Muffler. When installing, use the same OEM Hangers from the muffler you are uninstalling. It looks a lot like this one http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/almc2242/Magnaflow2.jpg

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=513

Header, well, you can go to Summit Racing and buy the 3SFE Header from the Pace Setter [$129.00 shipped]. It will work fine. You can ask, Checho. I sold him one I was going to install. He installed it on his RAV4.1. Giving it a cool sound, power, and more gas mileage. Not bad for a performance upgrade.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/almc2242/Pacesetter3SFE.jpg

Install an intake. It will give you more air inside the engine and it will breathe a lot better helping the exhaust make more power.

Go to Next Level Performance -G-Box, with this module, you will pickup another 10 to 12 HP. http://nextlevelracing.com Guys, this little module works

I guess with these little items, your RAV4 can run up front. You might ask, "Hay man, Do you these parts in your RAV4?" Yes I do.

Next step, a turbo kit, of course. Keep in touch.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/almc2242/Goodies.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/almc2242/TRDMesh.jpg

:wink:
Hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts