Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I buy a lot of cars, mostly for friends, on eBay. Go for it if you absolutely have to have it and have $$$$ to burn but that price is WAAY high IMO. And I doubt anyone is going to jump on the Buy-it-Now. I'd wait, wait, wait until 10 seconds left and bid $6,499. That way you'll get it for his reserve price. Bidding any earlier just encourages competition and raises your price.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Low mileage is good, but not an absolute measure. Age is significant, too. Things like seals, rubber, composites, leather .... Florida is not a great location for vehicles, either.

Finally - price. There are too many people with enough money in Florida cities. The market isn't as competitive as I like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buy a lot of cars, mostly for friends, on eBay. Go for it if you absolutely have to have it and have $$$$ to burn but that price is WAAY high IMO. And I doubt anyone is going to jump on the Buy-it-Now. I'd wait, wait, wait until 10 seconds left and bid $6,499. That way you'll get it for his reserve price. Bidding any earlier just encourages competition and raises your price.
I'm in NY and he is in Florida. He sent me a message this morning. He would ship it to me with all fees for $7K, what is it worth shipped?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Low mileage is good, but not an absolute measure. Age is significant, too. Things like seals, rubber, composites, leather .... Florida is not a great location for vehicles, either.
I second that too. I know many who bought 1st gen Tacoma's with 150k over ones that had 75k mainly because how they were maintained and drivin

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
In doing a little research I found the RAV4 was sold for $4,500 on Sept 4 but obviously the deal fell thru for some reason. https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/192296919146?item=192296919146&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565
Click on See Original listing and then 6 bids.

I also noted that very few of this dealer's listing meet the reserve and actually (supposedly) sell. Out of 228 listings under Completed Listings, 42 "sold." https://www.ebay.com/sch/floridacars1/m.html?item=382278060218&rmvSB=true&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684
Click on See other items and then on Completed Listings in the lower left column. Compare with Sold Listings.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with Dyno -- that's a very high price. And then to have to pay for shipping! In my area (Colorado), a Rav like that would be in the $5000 range, and only that high because the mileage is low. A more average price with normal miles (150K - 200K) would be about $3500, but there are many that pop up for under $2.5K here. I love Rav4's, but I also agree with the other posters that the very low mileage wouldn't command that level of premium for me (personally). Therefore, it might be hard to recover you costs upon resale, if that is part of your plan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RAV4

I asked him about that (that it sold before) and asked him what happened. Just saw it sold for $4500 before - Here is what he sent me:

"The undercarriage is very clean. The low miles are most likely because its a retiree or snow-bird vehicle. We sold this vehicle to a customer over 2 months ago. We held it for the customer for 2 months until he finally came in a few days ago. He loved everything about the vehicle accept the CRUISE CONTROL did not work. We brought the vehicle to Toyota and they diagnosed that the Cruise Control Switch was bad. We ordered the switch from the dealer and put it in and it didn't work. We believe the switch we got from Toyota was a faulty part. Unfortunately there are no other switches available from Toyota. The was the last switch available.
So at this point the cruise control don't not work. The light comes on the dash but it does not engage when you hit the SET button. You can try and purchase a used switch on EBAY.
The customer decided not to purchase the vehicle only because of the cruise control.

We can do $7,000 Total Delivered."

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
It's interesting that you even got a response. The eBay bidder list under the Sold Listing shows it was sold for $4,500 with a Buy-it Now. You might ask about that and what his reserve is now. Keep in mind that if you do make a deal or win it on a late bid as I suggested and have it shipped, return shipping isn't included.
When I bought our RAV4 I flew to Florida with the check in my pocket, test drove the car for an hour, paid them and drove it home to CT. Did the same thing in GA with the Accord.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts