Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. When I bought my 2010 xle, the only thing I didn't like was the stereo sound. So I had the speakers replaced. 5 years later, the passenger side small speaker (tweeter?) no longer works. I pried the plastic covers off, but can't really access anything. My question basically is how to troubleshoot. Do I have to take off the whole inside door panel to try to figure out what's wrong, or to see if a cable isn't plugged in? I'm guessing there is no fuse just for that one speaker. I'm fairly handy, but don't have much experience with car stereos, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Larry in Beantown

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Hi - I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. When I bought my 2010 xle, the only thing I didn't like was the stereo sound. So I had the speakers replaced. 5 years later, the passenger side small speaker (tweeter?) no longer works. I pried the plastic covers off, but can't really access anything. My question basically is how to troubleshoot. Do I have to take off the whole inside door panel to try to figure out what's wrong, or to see if a cable isn't plugged in? I'm guessing there is no fuse just for that one speaker. I'm fairly handy, but don't have much experience with car stereos, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Larry in Beantown
Larry, others on here will probably give you more details than I, but yes, you'll have to remove the door panel to get to the speaker. Then you'll be able to check the wiring etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is no fuse for just one speaker. If it stopped working, probably just a loose wire connection. Usually if a speaker goes bad you will still hear it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Removing the doorpanel is not that hard actually.

Pull back the coverplate of the handle bar, and remove the 2 screws you'll find behind there.
Pull back the coverplate behind the chrome lock handle and remove the 3th screw there.
Then pull the complete door panel by starting to pull it back from the bottom of the door.
The panel is secured with plastic clips, so you'll need to pull quite hard and it will come lose. Don't be affraid, it can't go wrong.
On the top the door panel is hanging in the window, so when the panel comes lose, lift the last part up, out of the window.
When the panel comes of, then unplug the window switch connector on the onside, and you can full access all speakers.

Installing the door panel back again is the same in reverse. Connect the window switch, hang the panel back in the window, and push or hit the edges of the panel to hear the plastic clips click in their mounting holes again. Screw back the 3 screws, and click the covers of the handlebar and lock back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts