Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buzzing, snoring noise seems to develop when driving the RAV over 80kmh/50mph. This gets worse up to about 100kmh/60mph. It also continues, when you put the car into neutral, and coast downhill.

When I got under the car and plucked at a few things, the plastic cowling under the engine made a buzz at the point a bolt was missing. This seemed similar to the noise I was hearing inside the car. I inserted a metric 6mm screw to secure the plastic. I drove it into town and back. The buzz seemed to be gone, but then came back on the return trip. The screw hadn't come loose.

I then removed both plastic cowlings, which now makes the car look a bit naked, underneath. However, the noise seems to be gone, over 100km. (I think I have got it correct, but I'm not sure.)

If this is due to the plastic slowly fatiguing, then it should be happening on a lot of RAVs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
No problems with my shields yet, but just under 100K miles on the 2000.

Having the factory/optional 4.1 roof racks installed or not also makes a big difference on noise at highway speed. And some reduction of MPG and power too -- I remove the racks when planning a long trip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Instead of removing that weather guard, why didn't you fasten it? Road chippings and debris?......
It was fastened. Probably made the noise. Removed for diagnostic purposes, to see if noise is really removed. When I put it back on again, I will have to rivet stuff to it, to change the weight, so it oscillates a different way.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A buzzing, snoring noise seems to develop when driving the RAV over 80kmh/50mph. This gets worse up to about 100kmh/60mph. It also continues, when you put the car into neutral, and coast downhill.

When I got under the car and plucked at a few things, the plastic cowling under the engine made a buzz at the point a bolt was missing. This seemed similar to the noise I was hearing inside the car. I inserted a metric 6mm screw to secure the plastic. I drove it into town and back. The buzz seemed to be gone, but then came back on the return trip. The screw hadn't come loose.

I then removed both plastic cowlings, which now makes the car look a bit naked, underneath. However, the noise seems to be gone, over 100km. (I think I have got it correct, but I'm not sure.)

If this is due to the plastic slowly fatiguing, then it should be happening on a lot of RAVs.

I need this if you would sell. My 1998s passenger side front skid is missing. LOL

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I drive 2 RAV-4s: a cute 2005 and a REALLY cute 1997 two-door. They both have a buzz at certain engine RPM (though different for each car). On both it is a section of the exhaust pipe shrouding. On the 2005 it is about 2000-2100 RPM; on the 1997 about 1200-1400. The 1997 is faint; the 2005 is louder and it annoys my girlfriend every time she hears it. I have been busy with other things (shocks, struts, CV shaft changes [ack ack ack], brakes and other minor fixes: just bought the car) but will come up with a fix soon. I think it could be as simple as adding a small piece of steel to change the harmonic dynamics of that piece. I'll post more in the future. This may NOT be your problem as it occurs going down hill in neutral....unless you are idling at the RPM that causes it. Have someone start the car with you looking under it (chocked wheels, in park and emergency brake on, please) and have them SLOWLY increase the RPM and see if something vibrates under the car, paying close attention to the forward exhaust shrouding: it is nearly in the same place on both cars. It think it is a common problem most people ignore. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts