Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a on off problem. If I start the car the A/C & radiator fans do not work. But if I try it a couple of times BOTH the A/C & Radiator Fans start working. Any ideas ?? Fan relay or AC relay ??? If so where are they located.
Afraid to drive it with the radiator fans not working.
THANKS

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,783 Posts
Look under the hood, there are 2 fuse boxes, one near the battery, and one on the opposite side. The inside of each cover shows the locations of the relays and fuses. Try swapping the relay with another of the same color.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't you know it, car is not acting up now. But I'm sure it will again and don't want to drive with no cooling fans.
What I did try is with the car running and the AC on I started pulling the relays one at a time. Seemed all they did was shut off the fans one at a time, AC never stopped working.
any ideas ??
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
When the A/C is off the fan(s) only come on as needed to cool the engine. So they won't come on just because the engine is running and may not even after some driving.
With the A/C on both will run full time unless of course you pull their fuse or relay.
From your descriptions your RAV4's fans are operating properly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The only time my radiator fan comes on is when I've been at idle for awhile and it depends on what the outside temperature is. Is your temp gauge showing you are overheating and the radiator fan is still not on? Otherwise you don't have a problem with the radiator fan as it will come on only when needed to keep the temperature at a normal level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, but what is causing (AT TIMES) that the fans AND the AC won't work at the same time ? Neither work at times ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only time my radiator fan comes on is when I've been at idle for awhile and it depends on what the outside temperature is. Is your temp gauge showing you are overheating and the radiator fan is still not on? Otherwise you don't have a problem with the radiator fan as it will come on only when needed to keep the temperature at a normal level.
Have not run it long with the fans off and the AC off. I'm sure it would overheat if the fans are not on , they should come on when the AC it turned on all the time . Correct ?

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
I'd suggest just watching the temperature gauge and not obsessing over the when the fans run. If the temp doesn't get high, say 3/4, you don't have a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd suggest just watching the temperature gauge and not obsessing over the when the fans run. If the temp doesn't get high, say 3/4, you don't have a problem.
Maybe I'm not explaining the problem correctly.
Get in the car start the engine with the AC on and NO AC look under the hood and the fans are not running too. Why would the AC AND the Fans not work. This is not all the time this happened two or three time. Some times all works fine. Hope I made the problem more clear.
thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Maybe I'm not explaining the problem correctly.
Get in the car start the engine with the AC on and NO AC look under the hood and the fans are not running too. Why would the AC AND the Fans not work. This is not all the time this happened two or three time. Some times all works fine. Hope I made the problem more clear.
thanks

ok....now follow this....the radiator fans come on for 2 reasons....
#1 is when the engine reaches a certain temperature...the fans will come on to cool the engine back down.....the fans will ONLY come on if the engine is hot enough to require it...so in reality you could drive around all day and the fans not come on once....
#2 is when the ac is turned on...on some cars only 1 fan runs when the ac is on and some 2 fans will run...i have never looked so i dont know which one the rav does....when the ac is on the fans will run no matter what the temp of the engine is.....

now here is where your problem is.....if your ac isnt coming on then the fans will not come on.....the fans will only come on when the computer tells them that the ac is running.....so NO ac means NO fans......you need to figure out why the ac does not start....you dont have a fan problem....you have an ac problem......when the ac runs properly the fans will work as they should...to check this theory next time the ac wont turn on sit in park and keep the motor at about 5k rpms til your engine temp gets 3/4 to hot....once the temp gets that high the fans should come on......however i think you have an ac issue and that your fans are working just fine.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok....now follow this....the radiator fans come on for 2 reasons....
#1 is when the engine reaches a certain temperature...the fans will come on to cool the engine back down.....the fans will ONLY come on if the engine is hot enough to require it...so in reality you could drive around all day and the fans not come on once....
#2 is when the ac is turned on...on some cars only 1 fan runs when the ac is on and some 2 fans will run...i have never looked so i dont know which one the rav does....when the ac is on the fans will run no matter what the temp of the engine is.....

now here is where your problem is.....if your ac isnt coming on then the fans will not come on.....the fans will only come on when the computer tells them that the ac is running.....so NO ac means NO fans......you need to figure out why the ac does not start....you dont have a fan problem....you have an ac problem......when the ac runs properly the fans will work as they should...to check this theory next time the ac wont turn on sit in park and keep the motor at about 5k rpms til your engine temp gets 3/4 to hot....once the temp gets that high the fans should come on......however i think you have an ac issue and that your fans are working just fine.......
Understand what you mean, will have to try that, if that is the case wonder what could make the AC run sometimes and sometimes not . Is there a relay for the AC ???

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm a little confused...

I'm confused here,Ralph.Your profile shows a 2005 Sport with I-4.But you posted in the 4.3 section.I checked because I wondered whether you had a Limited model,which has different climate controls than Base or Sport models.So....is it truly a 2005? My first reaction in your spot (after swapping out the relay) would be to check the operation of the dash mounted controls themselves. Perhaps the signal from the dash to turn on the A/C relay is working intermittantly ,causing the problem to come and go somewhat randomly. That is,if Junebug's suggestion to swap out relays doesn't correct the problem.I'd think that the relay involved would be the easiest to fix and the most likely weak spot in the circuit.Definitely worth checking THERE first.
Nick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm confused here,Ralph.Your profile shows a 2005 Sport with I-4.But you posted in the 4.3 section.I checked because I wondered whether you had a Limited model,which has different climate controls than Base or Sport models.So....is it truly a 2005? My first reaction in your spot (after swapping out the relay) would be to check the operation of the dash mounted controls themselves. Perhaps the signal from the dash to turn on the A/C relay is working intermittantly ,causing the problem to come and go somewhat randomly. That is,if Junebug's suggestion to swap out relays doesn't correct the problem.I'd think that the relay involved would be the easiest to fix and the most likely weak spot in the circuit.Definitely worth checking THERE first.
Nick.
My mistake is a 2006 I-4 SPORT with non-automatic AC.
Sorry for the mistake.
Ralph

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have not run it long with the fans off and the AC off. I'm sure it would overheat if the fans are not on , they should come on when the AC it turned on all the time . Correct ?
Bottom line is if the engine does not overheat, I don't care if the radiator fan is on or not.:smile

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Understand what you mean, will have to try that, if that is the case wonder what could make the AC run sometimes and sometimes not . Is there a relay for the AC ???
Could be something like a bad pressure switch...might even be low on refrigerant....

·
Super Moderator
10,366 Posts
Could be something like a bad pressure switch...might even be low on refrigerant....
Blows ice cold . Don't think it's low on refrigerant.
If the A/C is working well but intermittently see an A/C shop. They won't care about the fans either, just if the air coming out of the dash vents is in the low 40s with the blower on high and temp set to max cold.

Bottom line is if the engine does not overheat, I don't care if the radiator fan is on or not.:smile
Correct!!! Never open the hood to look at or even listen to the fans again unless the temperature gauge gets high!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,783 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
(2008, RAV4, V6) When i start the car, without switching on the A/C, i expect the fan to go on, but it doesnt, hence the hood gets hot after driving for few minutes, how do i solve this pls?, Also i tried switching on the A/C and drive for few minutes yet the hood still get hot, i prefer the fan to go on immediate i kick the car, pls help.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The fan does not come on when starting the car. It comes on only when the cooling system reaches a certain temperature. I believe it should come on when the AC is on. Have you actually opened the hood when the AC is on to see if the fan is running? Don't go by just touching the hood.
What is the temp gauge on the dash indicating?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts