Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2002 RAV. A/C blows warm. AC light come on as normal, but it there is no change in the engine load like I would expect when the compressor kick on. Looking at the A/C clutch, it is spinning continuously. I don't think this is normal, as most of them cycle on/off. I assume this must be a bad compressor or the clutch is somehow stuck on. Before I head to the shop, anything thing worth checking? Relay shorted? Does this cause any harm to the engine, other than wearing the compressor out?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks..Dave

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,894 Posts
Are you sure the compressor is running? The pulley will turn constantly, but unless the magnetic clutch is engaged, the compressor is not turning. My guess is all your refrigerant leaked out, and the low pressure switch is stopping the clutch from engaging. You could verify this by disconnecting the wires from the clutch.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
The pressure switch exists in part to prevent damage to the compressor if the refrigerant leaks out by disengaging the clutch since the lubricant for the compressor's internal components circulates with the refrigerant. If that fail/safe circuit has worked as designed the compressor should be undamaged if the refrigerant has leaked out, but of course the cause of non-cooling may be that the compressor itself has a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Thanks for your replies. I had a pressure gauge I had save from one of the the refrigerant refill cans. When I connected it basically did not move. I pumped some refrigerant in and then I heard the compressor turn on. I went ahead and filled to the level indicated and it is cooling quite well now. I suspect I must have a leak, so will have to deal with that.

Both of you were spot on. I will just have to work on the leak

Thanks Again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts