Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2003 5-speed and have found the previous owner(s) have done away with the A/C connector and have wired it direct (Jerry Rigged). Three wire setup. I'm having trouble getting the clutch to engage and am looking for the diagram or pics to find out the wire colors coming from the harness and their respective function.

Thanks for your help!

All respect due, please don't go into pressure in the system and further info. I'm trying to find exact info on wires.

·
Registered
517 Posts
There is 3 wires: black, blue and white.

The compressor is grounded by the casing to the engine block. The positive come by the black wire to engage the ac clutch. The two other wires are the confirmation sent to the ECU to confirm the ac clutch is ''locked''. If no lock confirmation is received, the ECU stops sending + to the ac clutch after a few seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thank you!

Black wire to clutch wire to engage it.

The two wires that come from the side of the compressor casing (I'm assuming it's a switch) are both gray. Do you know which of the two need to be connected to the Blue and White wires? I'm calling them left gray wire and right gray wire looking at them coming out at 6 o'clock from the switch.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The clutch is engaged when 12 volts is applied via the black wire to pin #3 of the connector. The ground is obtained via the compressor attaching points.

The other two pins on the connector are for the Compressor Lock Sensor. They appear to act as a switch, so polarity probably doesn't matter, but according to the wiring diagrams the Blue wire goes to pin #1, and the white wire goes to pin #2

·
Registered
25 Posts
is this the same in 2017 rav4?
im trying to find out where i can connect my auxillary fan when ac compressor(7SAS17C ) clutch is on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
is this the same in 2017 rav4?
im trying to find out where i can connect my auxillary fan when ac compressor(7SAS17C ) clutch is on.

It is a bit different. Here is a diagram for rav4 2016, i would think 2017 is very similiar.
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1147028

On page 2, you see the compressor clutch. It looks like SSR+ (White) carries the signal for when the clutch is engaded. The Violette wire controlls the coil, which controls the power feed for the clutch.

You can use a test-light at the A/C compressor connection to be sure. Backprobe it to check where there is signal when the compressor is running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i did find the mg/clt (magnetic clutch relay). now i just need to figure out how to get behind the block relay. so i can tap wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts