Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad took his car in for service. A week later weather got real hot and he clicked on the A/C and it wouldn't work. Upon investigation turns out the condenser is broken. Don't know how it happened since its inside the bumper. Something must have hit it. Either way, I ordered the part and I want to replace it myself since the stealership quoted me $1000 for part and $600 for labor. I have fixed these before on other cars so I'm hoping if someone has a DIY or a factory repair manual to assist me. It has been a while since I worked on a car a nice DIY would be GREAT. It's a 2015 Rav4

·
Registered
129 Posts
the condenser is thin aluminum and if a road rock hits it in the right place it can crack and leak. it happened on my corolla. my advice is to order a a/c condenser immediately and replace it yourself. it is really easy. just youtube search and you will see. you just need to remove the bumper which is easy as well. then have a professional shop vacuum and fill. replacement should be easy. i replaced mine with a tyc brand one and it has been working perfectly for over 3 years so far. a/c on the corolla has not leaked since and is nice and cold. i bought the condenser for around $100 and had an a/c shop vacuum/refill for $40 (using a pennysaver coupon).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Removal:
Recover refrigerant from refrigeration system.
Remove headlight.
Remove the 2 bolts and front bumper upper reinforcement sub-assembly and remove the 2 clips.
Remove the 7 (or 7) clips and radiator upper air guide plate.
Remove the bolt and disconnect the discharge hose sub-assembly from the cooler condenser assembly.
Remove the O-ring from the discharge hose sub-assembly.
Remove the bolt and disconnect the liquid pipe sub-assembly from the cooler condenser assembly.
Remove the O-ring from the liquid pipe sub-assembly.
Detach the 3 clamps and disconnect the water by-pass pipe from the No. 2 fan shroud.
Remove the 2 bolts and No. 2 fan shroud.
Detach the 2 guides and remove the cooler condenser assembly (lift up).

Install:
Have 40cc (1.35 fl. oz of ND-OIL 8 or equivalent ready)
Install cooler condenser assembly. Attach the 2 guides to install the cooler condenser assembly.
Install the No. 2 fan shroud with the 2 bolts. Torque 8ft.lb. Attach the 3 clamps to connect the water by-pass pipe to the No. 2 fan shroud.
Install the No. 1 radiator support with the 2 bolts. Torque 14ft.lb.
Connect liquid pipe sub-assembly. Remove the vinyl tape from the liquid pipe sub-assembly and the connecting part of the cooler condenser with receiver assembly. Sufficiently apply compressor oil to a new O-ring and the fitting surface of the tube joint. Install the O-ring to the liquid pipe sub-assembly. Connect the liquid pipe sub-assembly to the cooler condenser assembly with the bolt. Torque 48 in(INCH).lbs.
Connect discharge hose sub-assembly. Remove the vinyl tape from the discharge hose sub-assembly and the connecting part of the cooler condenser with receiver assembly. Sufficiently apply compressor oil to a new O-ring and the fitting surface of the tube joint. Install the O-ring to the discharge hose sub-assembly. Connect the discharge hose sub-assembly to the cooler condenser assembly with the bolt. Torque 48 in(INCH).lbs.
Install radiator upper air guide plate with the 7 (or 6) clips.
Install the front bumper upper reinforcement sub-assembly with the 3 bolts. Connect the horn connector.
Install the headlight.
You may need to adjust the hood sub-assembly.
Charge air conditioning system with refrigerant.
Warm up engine.
Inspect for leaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts