Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

A/C Fan gurgling noise is it normal?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ST-Bob 
#1 ·
So I have a 2016 Rav4 Le, Whenever I use the fan for cold air and hot air or A/C and have the setting at 1 I would constantly hear a noise different than the fan. It sounds similar to the sound that a computer makes when the hard drive is gurgling. It would only happen when I have the setting set to blow the feet and defog front windshield or defog front windshield only. I continuously hear it at fan setting 1 but if I turn the fan setting higher, it would mask the noise.

I am just wondering if this is normal because it is very annoying, I usually have the setting at 1 because turning it to 2 or higher would make the fans a bit too loud.

Also another thing is if I have the setting set to blow air out to anything else besides the front windshield, I would not hear this noise. I am very certain it is coming from the windshield vent and if this hard drive gurgling noise is common or not normal at all?

I also did take it to a few different dealers and they say nothing is wrong. I had a 2002 corolla before this Rav4 and when I have the fan setting set to 1 to defog the windshield, I would not hear the hard drive gurgling noise, everything was very quiet.

#6 ·
Check the heater/air conditioner box drain. The fan area will have a water drain at its lowest point. If this is blocked by aftermarket undercoating or by mold or leaf debris it will trap water inside and make noises or overflow and leak into the car under the dash on the passenger's side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.