Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I actually have been on here before (but not often) but for some reason couldn't log into old account.

I have a 2007 RAV and I just had the alternator replaced when I picked up my car the A/C didn't work. Blowers were working but blowing very hot air. Took it back to my mechanic and after they have had it for a day, they have come to the conclusion that the bad alternator shorted out the A/C compressor. With a very small knowledge base of mechanics, I am wondering if this sounds plausible. He did say he has never seen this before and he also said there is some mechanism in most cars to prevent this electrical short from happening.

My question is does this sound plausible? If so, is a new compressor my only recourse. I just spent $700 on Alt & battery now it's another $900 for a new compressor. Yikes!

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
A short in an electrical component would blow the fuse which protects that component, and also protects other components from damage related to that short. The mechanic's explanation doesn't sound plausible to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Did the AC work after the alternator failed but before it was replaced? If so they must have caused it, but then I can't see how they could have unless they damaged wires somewhere. I also don't know how it would be possible to ruin a compressor by electrically "shorting it out" since it doesn't generate power just pumps freon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts