Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with their dealer not honoring the Platinum VSA (6 years/ 100,000 miles)? My wifes 2015 RAV4 has 77600 miles and is under VSA until Nov 14, 2020. The air conditioning was only blowing outside temp air so I made an appt with the selling dealer. They recharged the system and added dye but did not locate a leak. I was charged $269 and they stated Toyota would not cover this charge. Anyone else had a similar problem or had it covered? Thanks, Bill C

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with their dealer not honoring the Platinum VSA (6 years/ 100,000 miles)? My wifes 2015 RAV4 has 77600 miles and is under VSA until Nov 14, 2020. The air conditioning was only blowing outside temp air so I made an appt with the selling dealer. They recharged the system and added dye but did not locate a leak. I was charged $269 and they stated Toyota would not cover this charge. Anyone else had a similar problem or had it covered? Thanks, Bill C
From what I understand the warranty does not cover replacement fluids. This seems typical of most extended warranties. Kinda of scummy really...seems like if the part breaks which in turn requires new fluid it'd be covered. Backhanded way to recoup costs.

Someone will chime in if this is incorrect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does the ac now work? If so, sounds like the dealer only fixed the symptom and not the root cause. My dealer experience is one of the reasons I no longer drive a toyota and may not bother in the future. I had a similar issue with my transmission. Brought it in due to the rav nearly stranding me in the cold. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong but still wanted to charge me $150 for looking at it. I refused since they couldn't tell me what was wrong with it and didn't fix anything.
In your case, if the refrigerant was low and the reason for the loss of function then the dealer simply recharging it is not the fix. They need to try harder finding the leak and repair it under your warranty. I would not have paid them.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD
56 Posts
I think it would have to be a part that failed like the compressor or control module in order for coverage to take affect. Don't quote me on that though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think it would have to be a part that failed like the compressor or control module in order for coverage to take affect. Don't quote me on that though.
Sounds like a part did fail, a seal or multiple seals. Only problem is, the dealer service department isnt competent enough to find it. Either way, why would the customer be responsible to pay for a fix that didn't actually fix the issue?

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Rav4 LE AWD
56 Posts
Sounds like a part did fail, a seal or multiple seals. Only problem is, the dealer service department isnt competent enough to find it. Either way, why would the customer be responsible to pay for a fix that didn't actually fix the issue?

I agree The price is pretty steep. They should have only charged for a/c fill and tracer dye for further inspection on return to find the leak instead of being charged for servicing the a/c system and adding tracer dye.. Tracking some of the smaller leaks can be a pain and some leaks may only happen under certain driving conditions. The OP has to bring the vehicle back for tracer dye leak detection in a week or two and should not be charged any further if they can not find a leak from that point on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you know that charging the A/C is a normal maintenance item? This is what both the service writer and the warranty rep from Toyota Financial Services stated when I expected the Vehicle Service Agreement to cover it. This was after I pointed out that the A/C is a sealed system. Would Toyota expect the customer to pay this charge if the A/C failed under the 3 year/ 36 month factory warranty? Bill C

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you know that charging the A/C is a normal maintenance item? This is what both the service writer and the warranty rep from Toyota Financial Services stated when I expected the Vehicle Service Agreement to cover it. This was after I pointed out that the A/C is a sealed system. Would Toyota expect the customer to pay this charge if the A/C failed under the 3 year/ 36 month factory warranty? Bill C
Again, this is why I no longer drive a toyota and likely never will again. Did the service writer say that with a straight face?

·
Super Moderator
11,013 Posts
Would Toyota expect the customer to pay this charge if the A/C failed under the 3 year/ 36 month factory warranty? Bill C
Not unless the owner caused the damage. Mine was repaired under warranty @ no charge.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It might have to do with where the OP lives. Toyota is not a unified company, and Toyota Southeast and other units have been known to interpret policy and warranty coverage differently.

Still, I would suggest that the OP open a case with Toyota (National) and see if they want to intervene. A properly sealed system should NOT loose sufficient charge to become non-functional. There is a leak somewhere, and this system will (hopefully, for solution's sake) fail again this year before the warranty expiration date so that it gets fixed properly.

Reactions: RTexasF
1 - 11 of 11 Posts