Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that my 2002 Rav4 was low on freon, but i hooked a gauge up to it and it read that it was full. I noticed that the condensor will kick on for about a half second then kick off. 2 seconds later it does the same thing, over and over. Do i have a bad pressure sensor or a bad relay? Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found my specific problem. It appears that their was air in the system. It was trying to get it out but could not. So what I did was remove the Low pressure cap and turned the engine on with the a/c on full. Let it kick on and off a couple times. Then I put a screw driver in the Low pressure valve and alot of air came out. I released the valve untill some R132 came out. From that point on the compressor stayed on and cycled in the normal fashion. Everything is perfect.

I checked my Tacoma and it was not fully charged as it could be. So I charged it a little more and it was blowing REALLY cold. Just thought I would let you all know what I found so it might help you. And I dont know how air got in to my Rav4 but it did.

Jonathan

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only way that you can get air in to the refrigeration circuit is if someone put it there, it doesn't just appear. All that sticking a gauge on one port will tell you is that there is something in the system, not that it is at the required quantity or "full", at any given temperature the standing pressure of a system containing 500grams will be exactly the same as a system containing 100 grams. I would hazard a guess that your system had been tampered with and had been overcharged, the 4.2 does have a tiny refrigerant capacity and is easy to overcharge if someone uses the DIY kits.

Venting refrigerant to the atmosphere is illegal both in the US and the UK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts