Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all

Recently the A/C of my 2009 Rav has been blowing not so cold air... I checked the cabin air filter and everything is somehow clean and clear. Under the hood though, I found the wires that connect to the H and L tubes to be almost completely destroyed (as per the picture).

What do you guys think? Could it be related?

The car has 65k miles.

Thank you all

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Good morning all

Recently the A/C of my 2009 Rav has been blowing not so cold air... I checked the cabin air filter and everything is somehow clean and clear. Under the hood though, I found the wires that connect to the H and L tubes to be almost completely destroyed (as per the picture).

What do you guys think? Could it be related?

The car has 65k miles.

Thank you all
I'm pretty sure you've narrowed down the cause of your problem!
Got mice?>:D

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
No connected wiring = no A/C cold function. Don't see any mouse or rat droppings but as ravenuer suggests it appears that something has chewed through the wiring . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it something I can replace myself? Is it something I need to bring to the dealership? What would be a fair price from a mechanic?

Thank you for your help

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
First you need to determine how it happened. I see a lot of dirt in that area. Some kind of an accident? If it was rodents many other areas would have been attacked.

To fix it you'll need a new connector with at least a foot of wiring attached. That probably isn't available new from a dealer so it'll have to come from a salvage yard. Then it'll need to be soldered in and properly insulated. Not a first-timer DIY job but an easy fix for someone skilled in car audio installations. Also check with an independent auto repair shop for an estimate.

I don't think a Toyota dealer would even attempt this repair and would overcharge you if they did.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Assuming that the rest of that wiring loom is OK it appears that one might be able to do an inexpensive repair themselves by splicing, soldering, and insulating new wiring to replace those which have been damaged , but it would be better to replace or to have a dealer replace the entire loom and connector. However if the cause for the problem isn't dealt with and, for example, it is rodents then it will be necessary to prevent them from doing the same damage again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
easy fix, NAPA has a lot of those connectors if you cut that old one off and bring it in, otherwise a trip to the local salvage yard is in order.

I would also say mice, check your airbox too, I bet it is full of leaves, etc.

that is the high pressure switch if I had to take a guess.

In the short term you could tie them together and see if the compressor clutch kicks in.

20 minutes with a soldering iron and some electrical tape.... done deal.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Rodents! No two ways about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mice or squirrels (honestly I think squirrels in my case because of the lack of meese turds.) I bought a 07 that had sat several years tied up in an estate case (but, hey! It truly was a "little old lady, one owner!" with less than 40k miles) and had several similar wire problems. Plus the air filter had been chewed out and the cabin air filter was full of acorns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
you don't want to know how much damage one or two mice did to the wiring in my wife's Boxster S one winter........

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
easy fix, NAPA has a lot of those connectors if you cut that old one off and bring it in, otherwise a trip to the local salvage yard is in order.

I would also say mice, check your airbox too, I bet it is full of leaves, etc.

that is the high pressure switch if I had to take a guess.

In the short term you could tie them together and see if the compressor clutch kicks in.

20 minutes with a soldering iron and some electrical tape.... done deal.
Good to know NAPA may have the connector.
But I wouldn't recommend shorting the wires together, might cause expensive electronics damage. Besides there are 3 wires. Just saw the connector on my '06 while changing the VVT hose to a pipe. It's right next to the pipe. Very easy access and 20 minutes for someone handy with a soldering gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts