Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's car. She was driving on a warm day when the A.C. light started blinking and it stopped blowing cold air. When I went to check it out (car sitting), the compressor came on, and the light was not blinking. But after she drove a short distance, it went back to no A.C.

So now what happens is the compressor will kick on for a few seconds, then shut off, and the light will start blinking.

I thought it might be low refrigerant, so I got a can, and in the few seconds the compressor was on, the gauge on the can read low pressure. I filled it up to normal by having my wife turn the A.C. on and off so I could use the few seconds of compressor time to get the refrigerant in, and also to check the pressure. I was able to get it up to normal, but still the compressor shuts off shortly after it's engaged.

I'm at work now, but I thought I might try unhooking the battery to reset the computer. Maybe it still thinks the pressure is too low? I'm not even sure if it works that way, but it's an easy stab and I'm running out of ideas. I also considered it could be a pressure switch or sending unit gone bad, but I'm not sure these can be replaced without letting the refrigerant out, which would require a professional.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
The year and trim of her RAV4 is always helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts