Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
When my awd kicks in the headlights seem to dim, is this normal? Also it is like 5 degrees here, when I put the Rav into reverse it takes a few seconds to actually go in reverse. It is an 08 Limited V6.

Thank you for any replies.

·
Super Moderator
10,226 Posts
How old is your battery? What state are you in, assuming USA?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, bought it used 3 months ago. No other signs that the battery is going, it is like 1 degree outside and it starts right up. Yes USA

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
How do you know your awd is kicking in? If the battery looks to be more than a few years old I would replace it...better than having it crap out on a cold night...

·
Super Moderator
10,226 Posts
Any voltage drop is likely due to your EPS (Electric Power Steering). I don't know how much current it draws but it's certainly way more than the 3A max the 4WD rear elecro-coupler takes. The brake lights probably take that much.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess there must be an electric draw when the awd starts up?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the light will dim when the traction control/stability control/ ABS kicks ... I installed small capacitors on my lights to even out the dimming, doesn't work, the ABS pump that powers all the driving nannies takes a lot of juice, so you just have to live with it!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Because its when I am in snow and I can tell it kicks in.
With the speed and seamless operation of the electronic coupler I highly doubt you know just when it engages and disengages and it requires very little power to operate...I would have the battery tested...your alternator could be headed south...also if it only happens in the snow you may be in need of a new serpentine belt as they can get stretched and a little snow can cause them to slip...you can also disable the 4wd to test that part out...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok seems normal then, thanks!
What about the tranny taking a gew seconds to go to reverse? It is only when it is really cold, is the transmission like a cvt type?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the transmission in a normal 5 speed unit not a cvt...check your fluid level and I didnt see a mention of miles, but perhaps it is time to service the transmission...change the fluid and filter...

·
Super Moderator
10,226 Posts
109k and I think the last flush was at 85k. I will have it serviced on the next oul change. Thank you
Really, a full flush at 85K and now needing one at 109? I've got 125K with no tranny service & running just fine.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Since you didn't have the rav when the transmission was serviced do you know if it was done at a Toyota dealer? I have read many people having issues when not using the correct Toyota transmission fluid...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts