Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my little contribution to the forum.

i had a stock limited for a little over a couple months now and liked the car a lot compared to the camry i used to own.

I was contemplating what i could do to the car including sound, rims and a nice carplay deck.

i'm ordering rims in the spring time because it's almost winter here now.

i've always liked the "murdered out" (all black) look on cars so i thought i'd try to go in that direction.

Things you'll need:

1) hopped on prodip.ca website for canada and ordered 6 cans of matt black. it is $10 a can off the site plus shipping and taxes. which is way cheaper than going to lowes where they charge you $20 a can plus tax which ends up around $23 per can. I've seen this stuff in the USA for $5/can which is a joke.

2) also ordered the spray gun trigger tool, it's about 5$ and well worth it, saves your thumbs

3) green tape (got it from the dollarstore and it was cheap and good quality

4) newspaper, lots of it, so you don't have plastidip where you don't want it

5) alcohol

6) rags

7) sonax wheel cleaner (absolutely fantastic stuff. sprays on green changes to red when it eats away at the grease and brake dust and makes cleaning super easy)

8) power washer

9) car jacks and stands

10) scrub brushes

here's a quick summary before pictures. i will keep this as short as possible.

-cleaning is a very crucial process before dipping.

- take wheels off, spray wheel cleaner and let sit. color of cleaner changes to red. When red brush the rim down to loosen anything that's still stuck on there. power wash the cleaner off dry with a rag. I had access to an air hose hooked up to a very nice compressor so that's how i dried the rims off. For a final measure I took a rag and wiped down the rims with alcohol to help remove anything else still on the rims after the cleaning. Let the rims dry.
While waiting, clean of the rest of the emblems with alcohol or degreaser and make sure it’s dry after. Tape around the desired area and add newspaper the keep overspray.

Spray light coats of dip on both the inner rim dish and the outside spoke area. You don’t have to spray the inside spokes cause no one ever sees it, just the dish of the rim. I did about 5-7 cots of dip on every rim front and inner rim.

Plasti dip is very forgiving, a few times it didn’t come out of the can as smoothly and you’ll get dripping or a west spot that has a heavier coat. My advice is not to do anything but just let it sit. It’s quite interesting because it seems to self level itself in the drying process.
Apply coats to all emblems and grill and leave about 10 minutes in between coats.

When finished with all your coats, removed all the tape and newpapers and start peeling off excess. Plasti dip actually breaks sharply when it hits the emblems so it looks super clean. Use toothpics to fish out spots in the letter O, A and anything else that requires it. Toothpics should not scratch your paint surface.

It took about 6-7 hours with cleaning, preping and painting. which also included a 1 hour lunch break.
I’m very satisfied with the look. So here it is for you guys to check out:

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
That looks awesome, I have been thinking of doing my rims for some time. They are off for the winter so I think this project will happen prior to them going back on this coming sprng. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot!

I didn't think it would be a huge change but in my eyes it really changed the overall look of the vehicle.

Some more tips for you guys thinking about doing it.

- I had my wheels balenced at my friends tuner shop the day before I sprayed

-watch a bunch of the dipping videos on YouTube to understand how to do it.

- make sure you clean the rims and areas you plan to dip really well.

- they say wait 20-30 minutes between each coat but I did one coat every 10 minutes, roughly 4-5 coats. Went light at the start then a little more heavy in the last couple, I don't know if this makes a difference.

-the hardest parts to plasti dip are the wells in the rim for the nuts so take your time.

- to save time I coating the back part of the rim waited a couple of mins, flipped it over and did the front and vice versa.

- yes I dipped over wheel balence weights so everything is black.

- buy the thicker 1.5 / 2 inch green tape as it's much easier to work with when taping around newpaper, the thinner stuff is better for the grille area

- Just throw a rag over the the mounting surface on the inside of the wheel each time you spray the backside.

- you do not need to spray the back of the spokes. I just covered the dish mainly

If I think of anymore tips I will let you guys know

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks killer! I'm not into the blacked out look since I grew up when cars had tons of chrome but you did a nice job and made it your own. Do you think it could affect resale value someday?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've dipped much of the chrome on my sport...I did the wheels, but took it off since I didn't like how it made my tires look even dirtier than I thought they were LOL...looks good

·
Registered
82 Posts
I plastidipped my bumper. Originally had planned to vinyl wrap it, but after doing the rest of the car I decided to quite simply 'cheat' for the last few parts hahaha.

Like you, I have found that the Plastidip is incredibly forgiving to work with, and will now finish my car with this product instead of vinyl :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts