Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to this great forum.

I have rav4 2006 limited 2.4 i4 4wd .. In my Country, you have to bring the old serpentine to be measured with the new one to get it. being unable to find a match with the length of it, I ended up replacing a little longer one.

That is if the total length with the original one was 1921mm. the new one is1930mm ..the car works fine but the question is would that harm the components of the serpentine pullies in the coming future?

many thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
As long as the belt isn't rubbing or coming close to rubbing on something I can't see why it would hurt anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as the belt isn't rubbing or coming close to rubbing on something I can't see why it would hurt anything.
thanks for the input .. what concerns me is that i have read some where here in the forum about the weak tensioner rav4 got and that causes the start delay and the like issue ( i really can't remember where i read that) .. if that is true so would that little longer belt will cause another period of delay for power supply the rest of the system as the waterpump + compressor + alternator

·
Registered
314 Posts
As long as the belt is tight, you're fine. I had to change my tensioner because the spring went bad and the belt was loose.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
The new belt is 9mm longer. That's 1/3" and would mean 1/4" max difference in the adjustment of the tensioner. Sweat it not!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will keep my eyes on it and i hope it will work just fine.

after changing the belt i changed the spark plugs and did not remove the negative battery to let the car relearn and adjust to the new plugs.

yesterday i removed the battery, the engine at the start shaked a little bit for some seconds and then the voice of it went so low and i let it there on idling for 10 minutes waiting for the fan to move but it didn't .. i noticed a whine i wasn't aware of before the relearn ... when i try to look for it, it comes almost from inside the exhaust manifold area in front of the engine.

the odo of the car is 170000 mile

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is no need to unhook the battery to change the spark plugs. I'm not sure why you're hearing that noise but it takes a few hrs sometimes for the engine to work normal again after the battery has been disconnected for some reason. It happened to my Rav and my Corolla. I know it's re-learning, but it should take 2 mins, not 2 hrs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts