Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a rav4 4x4 at. whenever i press hard on the gas i hear a louc clunk from behind also everytime i shift from drive to reverse i hear that same clunk... im thinking that this is my transmission but i don't know whats wrong with the transmission though.. help! :( thanks in advance

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My manual Rav4 99 does the same when I shift gear, unless I'm very soft with the clutch.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would not worry. I get the same thing in my 4x4 automatic if I switch between P, D, N, R (and combinations thereof) very quickly. Gentle and precise shifting prevents it....but then they don't call you Kwikshift for nothing :shock:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just bought a 1994 RAV-4 GX, 3 door. I noticed the same thing during the test drive and decided it didn't sound overly serious; in fact I negotiated a good discount for it. I've just had it in the garage (not Toyota) for a diagnosis and the response was...

The rubber portion of the differential mounting(s) has broken free of the metal. This allows it to move too much which is causing the loud 'clunk'. It certainly needs fixing, but it is not dangerous as the differential can't actually move very much. A replacement part will cost about 50GBP and fitting will be quick and straightforward i.e. probably less than an hour labour.

The replacement has been ordered and I'll have the job done as soon as I can book it in. I'll let you know what happens.

Regards,
Craig.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CLUNK is gone!

I've had the rear diff. mounting replaced and the CLUNK is now gone. :D

This is the replacement part. It fits to the back of the rear differential housing just infront of the exhaust silencer. It only takes four bolts but watch for the seized ones. I'm glad I got the garage to do mine as they ended up having to weld one side on. Unfortunately one bolt was seized so badly it sheered the captive nut out of the underbody/chasis! It cost £68 + VAT for the new mounting plus an hour labour.

I know this is a very common issue for the RAV4, so I hope this helps ease any undue concerns. Its a very simple job as long as the nuts & bolts aren't seized up.

All the best! :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there a way i could know if the differential mounting is already broken... i took a peak under my car it seems in place... thanks for the info craig! :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its quite difficult to see if the mounting is broken or worn out. Unless you have access to a vehicle pit or similar and a friend who can help it would be near impossible. You need to see the movement of the diff housing where it meets the diff mounting while someone is applying and releasing drive. You would then see the movement of the rubber and whether it is torn or broken free of the metal housing. You can't see this movement properly from the back.

The only advice I can give is to ask a local garage to inspect the mounting. They have the right facilities and I'm sure they wouldn't charge you just to have a look at it.

Cheers, Craig.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks craig that was a big help i'll try that out :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After seeing Craig's picture I went to my mechanic, we raised the car and inspected the rear differential: it has one back support, the one depicted in Craig's photo, and two front supports, that you really can only see from under the car.
We had someone stay in the car and simulate starting, with the stationary brake on, we all found that those support allow too much movement of the differential box and indeed seem to be the cause for the clunk.
So I ordered all three supports, and will have them replaced.
Then will let you know the result.
Thanks Craig.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hayayay my mechanics going crazy... we couldn't seem to find the root of the problem almost everything was already replaced bushings mountings and everything else... we even opened the tranny and the other stuff... sadly no avail... tomorrow we'll be bringing it to toyota we'll see if they can figure it out... :(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mechanic called he has the rubber supports, I'll bring the car soon and then let you know what the result is.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brought the car to toyota and they couldn't find what's causing the noise!.... this is getting a bit hesitating already... they checked everything that could be checked on it but they couldn't find it... strange really strange... :(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On saturday I went to my mechanic and he changed the three shock absorbers of the rear differential: the thump has been substantially reduced, but not eliminated.
However I will now keep it as it is and be happy with it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mine too tanto the sound has been reduced but not yet eliminated... really makes me wonder...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At this point I don't care. The car was working just fine before, works fine now, I'll keep using it as it is. The mechanic says there's some play, slack, in the transmission, replacement or fix is gonna be veeery expensive.
Before replacing the supports I went in the mountains and in one foot of snow, the car was just fine except occasionally the noise (when I wasn't soft in releasing the clutch).
I like this car, it's a keeper for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts