Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to fix the pinion bearing issue I just ordered a locking differential with carrier complete today, hopefully it will be here in about a week. I'll clean her up, prime and paint her, change the seals, get her in there and fill her up. I've been wanting to upgrade to the locking differential, this just gave me the excuse I needed. It should be a pretty quick fix.

More to follow.

·
Registered
400 Posts
How does that work with engaging it? For example, will it be the same type that engages with the button on the dash?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a mechanical limited slip differential (LSD), when one wheel begins slipping it engages.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This the rear differential on a 4x4.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Okay, I see -- is it like the Torsen LSD that was a factory option on the 4.1 Rav? If so, I think you'll like it...I have that diff on my '00, and it works great, especially for snow. I use the Motorcraft XL-3 friction modifier with Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 Gear Oil.
Let us know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the same one I'm installing, the 4.1 Torsen LSD differential. Just waiting for it to arrive, sorry if I wasn't clear.
When it arrives, I'll open her up to inspect the guts, reseal, new seals, install, and service it.
Thanks for the suggested gear oil.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found one for $530.00 US with free shipping (some charge about $250.00 for shipping) from QualityAutoParts.com. It is supposed to be checked out, came off a RAV4 with about 110,000 miles, and it has a 1 month warranty. The people I bought it through says they have 2 more out there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They shipped the wrong differential, it is not an LSD, they claim to have a mechanic look over all their used parts before they go out, how can any competent mechanic not test a differential and not realize that it isn't LSD? Damn, why are so many people incompetent at their jobs?

·
Registered
400 Posts
They shipped the wrong differential, it is not an LSD, they claim to have a mechanic look over all their used parts before they go out, how can any competent mechanic not test a differential and not realize that it isn't LSD? Damn, why are so many people incompetent at their jobs?
What?! Ah, man! Maybe they didn't know that the Torsen diff doesn't "pass" the counter-rotation test...or maybe they just didn't check it at all (more likely?). If they find another, have them verify it by the VIN, as well. That's as easy as calling Toyota's regular customer service number and asking them if the VIN matches for factory LSD. I have done that a few times.

Here are some other way to verify their identification before they send you another:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/181330-limited-slip-rav4.html

I'm sure you'll hunt down another one! I have seen them out there -- though they pop up here in Colorado more often than other places because of our snow. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found one, the company had one available nearby so, I ran out and picked it up this morning. It has a raised 2 on the carrier case. Now, I have to open it up and check it out, replace the seals, and get it in there.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What?! Ah, man! Maybe they didn't know that the Torsen diff doesn't "pass" the counter-rotation test...or maybe they just didn't check it at all (more likely?). If they find another, have them verify it by the VIN, as well. That's as easy as calling Toyota's regular customer service number and asking them if the VIN matches for factory LSD. I have done that a few times.

Here are some other way to verify their identification before they send you another:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/181330-limited-slip-rav4.html

I'm sure you'll hunt down another one! I have seen them out there -- though they pop up here in Colorado more often than other places because of our snow. Keep us posted!
Demoder, thanks for the link, that provided the info I needed along with a wire brush at the salvage yard to make sure I got the right carrier/differential. My new carrier has a raised "2" in the location shown in the video. I didn't get time today to put her in, hopefully no later than Monday and we'll be back on the road again!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
best way to verify is to open up the case and look at it. Many wrecking yards associate "locking" with the switch on the dash and not relating anything to LSD. I had to build my own torsen using celica parts (they are both 6.7" ring gear)

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
best way to verify is to open up the case and look at it. Many wrecking yards associate "locking" with the switch on the dash and not relating anything to LSD. I had to build my own torsen using celica parts (they are both 6.7" ring gear)
Yes, I hope to get in there soon but Hurricane Irma has really screwed up my schedule. I've been cutting trees with a chainsaw and putting in private utility poles. I also had to do some emergency repairs on my motorhome. Ay Caramba, my RAV4, didn't get a scratch and later this week I hope to get back to her, when I do I'll open the differential up, inspect it and change all the seals before installing it.

I hope everyone else made it through Irma safely.

·
Registered
132 Posts
glad that you floridians are on the road to recovery. Rav4 can wait, lol. If you have any questions about the torsen let me know, I built mine from scratch not even a year ago and I have the process clear on my mind if you have to go that route.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow, Eodgator, I hope things are okay for you down in FL!

I'm sure you have your hands full with the storm clean-up and repair, but I'm glad your Rav and hopefully your home is okay. Stay safe and update us with what you learn about installing that Torsen after you get all the other work done!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ay Caramba made it through just fine, not a scratch. I lost the patio awning, my satalite dish, airconditioner shrouds and vent shrouds on my motorhome; all were in need of replacement anyway. The main house only lost the dock roof over the fish cleaning station. So we have no complaints. Waiting on power at the house, but I have it at the motorhome. We have generators and chainsaws so we are have power and we are able to help others clearing debris.
Thanks for your concern.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, about that nonsense of a 2 on the differential carrier cover means it's a Torsen is incorrect, my old one has a raised 1 and the used one sent to me had a raised 2, both are regular differentials. The ONLY way to make sure is to open up the rear cover and being most junk yards that ship don't want to do that I'll have to wait and shop around till I find one. The salvage yard that sent me the last differential carrier refunded my money and said to keep it because it isn't worth the shipping costs. So, I installed that one in my RAV4 after changing the seals and all is well again. Almost well, anyway the left front CV joint failed so I'm replacing both front CV joints, the bearings and front hubs while I'm at it. If I take it apart I want new parts in there, she's almost had everything replaced on her now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts