Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing a set of wheels I just obtained, however the Toyota factory lug nuts do not fit into the new wheels holes where the lugs go through the wheels. I figure a new set of lug nuts would solve this problem, however, I am not too sure what specific lug nuts to order.

All that I know is that the lugs are 12mm X 1.5 pitch.

Here is a schematic of the RAV4 OEM lug nut:

However, the diameter of the shaft (.730) of the RAV4 lug nut is too big to fit through the hole in my new wheels.

Question is, is this particular type of Toyota OEM lug nut a specialty item? While doing some research on the Web, I've come to discover that this lug nut is not that common. A more common type of lug nut is the "acorn" type lug nut. Will a universal 12mm X 1.5 acorn type lug nut work?

Any experts that have experienced this please feel free to reply. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
The shape of the lug nut is mostly dependent on the wheel you are using, as long as the threads also match the studs. So if you get a new wheel, whether it is alloy or steel, you need a lug nut that will fit the particular wheel.

You're right, that lug nut is not very common, however it is fairly standard for Toyota alloy wheels; my Rav uses the same one, but I also have a set of acorns for the steel wheels.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff for your response. :) The "new" wheels that I have are also alloys with a flat seat, so it is similar in appearance to the OEM Toyota alloys that are on the RAV now. Only thing is the holes are too small on the new wheels.

I kind of figured out what I need to do. I probably have to go to a wheel /tire shop and have them remove and insert new wheel inserts that will fit either the Toyota lug nuts or some other type of lug nuts. I'll let you all know how it turns out when the wheels get fitted up. Probably not for awhile though, I need to fix one of the wheels. :wink:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Derek,

I used to work for one of the divisions of DENSO (sister company to Toyota) and I know for a fact that Toyota standardizes on most of the products that they make.

Nearly all of the alloy wheels that Toyota makes takes the flat-seated lug (just like the ones that came on our RAV4's with factory alloys). These lug nuts come in 2 lengths. The ones for the RAV4 are typically the longer ones (similar to the ones that come on the latest model 4-Runners). The steel wheel lug nuts are more conical shaped on the ends that touch the wheel.

Another thing you may want to find out is if your aftermarket wheels are hub-centric or lug-centric. My new aftermarket wheels on my RAV4 are lug-centric. They don't require a hub ring because the conical shaped ends of the lug nuts seat the wheels just right on my RAV4, making it lug-centric.

The center bore on most Toyota wheels are roughly the same size. Aftermarket wheels are usually larger and most require hub-centric rings to fit snug on the hubs of different car axels.

There are a few aftermarket lug nut suppliers out there. Have you tried McGard? Check out their website and see what they have to offer. They even have black-chrome lugnuts that look pretty cool!!!

Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Derek said:
I am planning on installing a set of wheels I just obtained, however the Toyota factory lug nuts do not fit into the new wheels holes where the lugs go through the wheels. I figure a new set of lug nuts would solve this problem, however, I am not too sure what specific lug nuts to order.

All that I know is that the lugs are 12mm X 1.5 pitch.

Here is a schematic of the RAV4 OEM lug nut:

However, the diameter of the shaft (.730) of the RAV4 lug nut is too big to fit through the hole in my new wheels.

Question is, is this particular type of Toyota OEM lug nut a specialty item? While doing some research on the Web, I've come to discover that this lug nut is not that common. A more common type of lug nut is the "acorn" type lug nut. Will a universal 12mm X 1.5 acorn type lug nut work?

Any experts that have experienced this please feel free to reply. Thanks! :D
Do your current lug nuts use washers? They don't look conical like mine are. I just had to buy 12x1.5 "tuner" nuts which have splines instead of wrench flats and come with a tool to fit them. I also bought 4 McGaurd tuner style locking nuts with their special key.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks alot guys for the helpful responses. :D The "new" wheels that I got have a flat mounting surface similar to the RAVs wheels. Will this type of surface accept "tuner" acorn lug nuts?

I will probably have to take the wheels in to a wheel installer shop just to make certain that everything fits up safely. I once put on some wider BBS wheels onto my Miata and actually snapped 2 lugs off of the hub. How did this happen. :?: I believe, one of the hubcentric rings got stuck onto the hub and I did not notice it when rotating the tires. This caused an uneven gap between the hub surface and the back of the wheel. :shock: From that lesson, I've learned to be safe in all the mods. that I do; and if need be, let the experts do the proper job! :wink:

Thanks again, I'll post picts when I finally get the job done! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts