Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

A story of patience..... 2023 Prime XSE w/PP @ MSRP (Austin, TX)

2314 Views 63 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Jeffp25
Hi all,

Here is our story and journey to attain a Blueprint 2023 RAV4 Prime w/PP @ MSRP in the greater Austin, TX area. Bonus information at the end to help potential buyers who get through the short, beneficial read ;)

Blueprint was the exact color we wanted and it included no port add-ons at all (I knew that I could pick buy/install exactly what I wanted on my own for much cheaper). This vehicle was fully loaded with only the factory packages (Weather & Premium packages). FYI - the 2023 XSE already includes what was once the "Premium Audio Package," 11-speaker JBL audio system.. and 2023 RAV4 models (SE & XSE) include the 6.6 kW On-Board EV Charger standard. The only thing that the dealer installed was a $499 tint package - which I was definitely mad that they didn't reveal that to me before doing it, but I decided to pay it because it was better than paying for a high markup or other unnecessary items. Plus, being from Texas, I was going to get tint done on the vehicle anyway. MSRP was a bit over $50K and total out of the door price was in the mid $53K.

I am in an individual that researches big purchases thoroughly. My wife needed a new car for our small family. My parents own a Toyota Camry hybrid and my personal vehicle is a Lexus hybrid, so I knew how little trouble those cars have given us. She's coming from a 13 years old car; a 2010 Nissan Versa sedan with 145K+ miles on it. We typically have bought all of our vehicles slightly used (usually after the big depreciation in the first few years), but when we began testing driving/looking/researching in the 2nd half of 2021, we realized how the market had changed. Used cars were selling for nearly the same as brand new cars. We are fortunate that my wife had a running car, so we could be patient to get the car that we really wanted.

The criteria that we were looking for in a new SUV was (not in any order): raw power, off road capability, towing capacity, cargo/interior space, 0-60 acceleration, long term reliability/cost to repair, fit & finish, total driving distance (EV miles + HV miles), and overall efficiency. I know some folks are jumping to the Tesla Model Y (now that they cut the price), but imho, it does not compete for the same market and does not beat the RAV4 Prime in all of these factors that were important to us.

We test drove full size (3-row) SUVs like the Kia Telluride (super popular at the time; probably still is), Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander.. but none of these cars provided the driving experience and more importantly, the efficiency we had hoped for, especially when we considered that we plan to keep the new vehicle long term (8+ years). Plus, they were a bit too large for what we needed on a day to day basis, so we began researching mid-size SUVs. Being from central TX (a non-ZEV state), we knew that Toyota RAV4 Prime was basically impossible to test drive anywhere in the area, so we settled on test driving the closest thing - a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. I could only rely on people on this forum and other place's first hand accounts of how the EV propulsion was a totally different feeling on the RAV4 Prime versus the Hybrid. The Prime's EV mileage would be perfect for my wife's daily work commute + other errands she may need to run.

In October & November of 2021, we put down several refundable deposits (in the $500-$1000 range) at a variety of dealerships that were selling vehicles at MSRP (I refused to pay above MSRP to a pad dealership pockets even more.. since they make a profit even at MSRP). We put down deposits in Texas dealerships, Colorado dealerships (back when they were allowing out of state buyers), and a few surrounding states as the vehicle could be driven back. We wanted a very specific color & vehicle: Blueprint and fully loaded XSE Prime. In terms of port add-ons, I wanted the minimum possible. Unfortunately, we were unable to get the Prime before the federal tax-credit ran out, but we thought about other vehicles that could meet/exceed the criteria (see above) that we were looking for, there really wasn't many options at this price point. By some dealerships, were offered 2022 models that didn't meet our color preference and options, but decided to pass because at the point, I knew about the 2023 changes coming and didn't want to compromise on such a expensive/long term purchase for us.

So the wait began/continued... and after 15 long months.... we have the vehicle in the pictures below! The best part, I had put a lot of pressure and kept in constant communication with our local dealership, Toyota of Cedar Park. 馃 Ordering in the gulf states is a bit of a different process since we are not allocated very many Primes at all. You can reach about the process here (specifically PaulD699's posts): https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4prime/comments/o8o4vu .

Tips for anyone looking for a RAV4 Prime still:
1)
Research what model, options, and color you want. Figure out what options & color you are flexible with (the more flexibility, the quicker you'll get your car). If you're more particular (like us), be prepared for a long way unless you decide to purchase from the ZEV states in the West Coast or East Coast that get allocated more inventory & ship the car to wherever you may live.
2) Download copies of the 2022 Allocation Spreadsheet & 2023 Allocation Spreadsheets and sort/filter them to figure out the most high volume dealerships in your area (and the West Coast/East Coast if you want to get a vehicle quicker from there):
2022 Allocation Spreadsheet (Updated until 6/30/22): https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4prime/comments/ujuz53 2023 Allocation Spreadsheet (Last updated 1/10/23): https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4prime/comments/zr6yfa 3) Use resources like markups.org and the wiki in the RAV4PrimeSales subreddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4primesales/comments/sos223 ) to figure out which dealerships are selling at MSRP or how much above (see how much you're comfortable paying over if you want/need the car sooner).
4) Put down as many refundable deposits as you can afford to increase your chances of getting RAV4 Prime quicker.
5) Keep in touch with dealerships that you have more faith in delivering a vehicle that you want to you and pray for a miracle 馃檹

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel Vehicle

Wife's RAV4 Prime with my Lexus GS450h (another super rare car):
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Respect goes to my wife's patience because not every woman would continue to drive an older car & put up with over a year wait for a vehicle!

~ im2bz2p345 :)
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Registered
Awesome, great info. So looking at your spreadsheet, the dealer I have a Rav4 Prime Premium reserved with and scheduled to arrive in port next week doesn't even show they have one of those allocated to them so far. I guess I got lucky.

It's technically at msrp but they add on a useless $4K security package that's probably worth all of $200 so I consider it a $3800 markup.

Glad you got yours!

Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
Congrats.

I put down a deposit on my Prime in Feb of 2020. Took delivery from Toyota of Cedar Park in May of 2021 at MSRP. They got me on tint, and wheel locks for $600. My tint was only done to the front windows, the other glasses have factory tint. Yes, grossly over priced.

I was happy with the transaction.

PS, when you go get your plates, ask them to give you an extra frame for the front plate. That would take up the space and relieve the plate holder鈥檚 bow against the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Blueprint 2023 RAV4 Prime XSE w/PP
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats.

I put down a deposit on my Prime in Feb of 2020. Took delivery from Toyota of Cedar Park in May of 2021 at MSRP. They got me on tint, and wheel locks for $600. My tint was only done to the front windows, the other glasses have factory tint. Yes, grossly over priced.

I was happy with the transaction.

PS, when you go get your plates, ask them to give you an extra frame for the front plate. That would take up the space and relieve the plate holder鈥檚 bow against the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wow! Almost the exact same timeline for delivery of your RAV4 Prime. Yes, anything at the dealerships is grossly overpriced. They basically did the same thing on ours - tinted my front glass to match the factory tint on the rear windows/back window/moonroof. I would have definitely preferred that they did not touch my vehicle without my permission & charge me for me, but the amount was so small and the fact they were not charging any other markup, put my mind in a little calmer state.

A BIG thanks for the helpful comment on getting an extra frame from the dealership for the front plate. I need to jog that to memory for when I do get my plates (I'm guessing it will take about a month or so?).

Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE X2
Wow! Almost the exact same timeline for delivery of your RAV4 Prime. Yes, anything at the dealerships is grossly overpriced. They basically did the same thing on ours - tinted my front glass to match the factory tint on the rear windows/back window/moonroof. I would have definitely preferred that they did not touch my vehicle without my permission & charge me for me, but the amount was so small and the fact they were not charging any other markup, put my mind in a little calmer state.

A BIG thanks for the helpful comment on getting an extra frame from the dealership for the front plate. I need to jog that to memory for when I do get my plates (I'm guessing it will take about a month or so?).

All Rav4 Primes come with a factory front plate holder, check in the spare tire well and see if it's there.

Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
All Rav4 Primes come with a factory front plate holder, check in the spare tire well and see if it's there.
It is installed. But the plate screws in the kit are to long, pushing the holder against the bumper, causing it to bow and leave a gap. Officially, Toyota says drill relieve holes on the bumper, but an extra frame takes up the length works just fine w/o extra holes. :p

Registered
Only a 15 month wait? That's nothing. Try that here in Canada, my brother has been waiting longer than that and dealers won't even take deposits because they aren't getting any R4P here. He bought a R4H instead but still wants the Prime. They basically don't exist here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Only a 15 month wait? That's nothing. Try that here in Canada, my brother has been waiting longer than that and dealers won't even take deposits because they aren't getting any R4P here. He bought a R4H instead but still wants the Prime. They basically don't exist here.
Yup - I'm thankful we don't have as crazy long of a wait as our neighbors up North, but at the same time - we no longer any federal rebates/incentives. Someone from FB said they got this exact car in Alberta, Canada in April 2021, but paid $57K CAD (with equates to $42.5K USD) with includes a $5K rebate from their province. Granted they built the car on the Toyota Canada website now, so noticed the MSRP has gone up $5K, but you Canadians also eligible for a rebate still.

Registered
Yup - I'm thankful we don't have as crazy long of a wait as our neighbors up North, but at the same time - we no longer any federal rebates/incentives. Someone from FB said they got this exact car in Alberta, Canada in April 2021, but paid $57K CAD (with equates to $42.5K USD) with includes a $5K rebate from their province. Granted they built the car on the Toyota Canada website, so noticed the MSRP has not gone up $5K, but you're also eligible for a rebate still.

I'm really surprised the high demand has continued after the $7500 credit ended. Although I guess I'm part of the problem since I still want one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really surprised the high demand has continued after the $7500 credit ended. Although I guess I'm part of the problem since I still want one.
Yeah, I honestly think the vehicle is worth it even without the tax credit, because there is nothing else that can compete with it in terms of the criteria that I listed out in my 3rd paragraph.. besides the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (underpowered at only 248 HP & doesn't have as much range as the R4P) and Volvo XC90 PHEV (which competes in the luxury segment - so rivaling Lexus more than Toyota).

Even if you double the MSRP, are there any PHEVs that can compete with the R4P in all those criteria? That's why the demand is still there. Until we get a reliable vehicle that is more spacious, has more power + EV range + ICE efficiency, and has better off road capability.. I don't see the R4P being de-throned. Just my opinion though.

If Toyota releases a Grand Highlander Prime or a Tacoma Prime with similar/better EV range + ICE efficiency, that would be game changer in the PHEV market, but for now R4P is on top.

Registered
Today I contacted Longo Toyota of El Monte, CA and they will not even place me on a waitlist and I'm not going with the other shyster dealers in the area. Can't belive I'm saying this but looking at the Tesla Model Y long range, someone talk me out of it.

Registered
Today I contacted Longo Toyota of El Monte, CA and they will not even place me on a waitlist and I'm not going with the other shyster dealers in the area. Can't belive I'm saying this but looking at the Tesla Model Y long range, someone talk me out of it.
Well, for starters it's a Tesla.... Musk is a lunatic, his cars are built very cheaply, they tend to have a nasty habit of self-driving themselves into emergency vehicles, their actual range is much less than they claim, unless you have a Tesla supercharger they take forever to charge, and their dealers don't take trade-ins. And of course since they don't use gas you are very limited in what you can do with them. I could drive cross country in a Rav4 Prime or any gas powered car in 4 days. Literally, 3000 miles in 4 days. I've done it. Try doing that with a Tesla.

Longo is the only dealer in the area that doesn't add markups so yeah, their waitlist is going to be pretty long. I wasn't able to get on it either. I'm working with another dealer in that area that doesn't add a flat markup but they do add a $4K option package that's pretty useless. There's also another one farther south that adds a $2500 markup plus a $1K option package but they have almost zero allocation for XSEs /Premium

I do hope karma catches up to these dealers who are exploiting the market and fleecing buyers. I have zero sympathy for them.

Registered
Don't buy a poorly built ego-mobile like the Y. For starters, you roll the dice with quality. Some people have reported motor failures the first day of ownership. I've owned two Teslas (Model S) over 6 years and just got tired of all the repairs. I think it was 13 service visits in 2.5 years with the newest one. If you are dumb enough to buy a Y, make sure you live close to a service centre, and have LOTS of superchargers where you travel. Their Autopilot is over-rated, many other automakers have something almost the same level of goodness.

Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
Don't buy a poorly built ego-mobile like the Y. For starters, you roll the dice with quality. Some people have reported motor failures the first day of ownership. I've owned two Teslas (Model S) over 6 years and just got tired of all the repairs. I think it was 13 service visits in 2.5 years with the newest one. If you are dumb enough to buy a Y, make sure you live close to a service centre, and have LOTS of superchargers where you travel. Their Autopilot is over-rated, many other automakers have something almost the same level of goodness.
I was seriously thinking about the Model Y after the price drops, for a hot minute, until I got on the forums and read the horror stories. People getting stranded on a highway with no power, etc.

I have been spoiled by Toyotas since I was 16. Never had a car break down on me. Not about to start...

Registered
I'm rethinking this, so okay the Tesla is out, now I've been looking around for Rav4 hybrids, the limited version, gotta have cooling seats in Utah. Even they are in short supply so worst case scenario I'll just hang back and wait for better days. My Xterra is running good but it's a gas guzzler and I don't go off-roading with it so it's overkill.
Thanx for your feedback guys, I'll be monitoring this site for updates.
Roger

Registered
I'm rethinking this, so okay the Tesla is out, now I've been looking around for Rav4 hybrids, the limited version, gotta have cooling seats in Utah. Even they are in short supply so worst case scenario I'll just hang back and wait for better days. My Xterra is running good but it's a gas guzzler and I don't go off-roading with it so it's overkill.
Thanx for your feedback guys, I'll be monitoring this site for updates.
Roger
The hybrid is nice but lacks the full EV ability and a lot of horsepower. Not sure what your trade-in situation is but I thought about just keeping my 6 year old car and waiting for the supply to increase and the dealer markups to decrease but then I realized that by the time that happens, MSRP on the 2024 or 2025 models will be higher, my trade-in value will be in the dirt, so the extra $4K markup I'll pay now when balanced with my trade being worth several thousand less and MSRP being higher later will basically be a wash.

Might as well suck it up now and enjoy it while I can. I'm not getting any younger, cars aren't getting any cheaper, and my trade-in value isn't gonna get any higher. I miss having a car that really moves when I step on the gas and I'm tired of going to Costco twice a week to spend $70 on gas.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what dealer came through? Cedar Park?
Correct - I mention this in the paragraph that starts with "So the wait began/continued...." Sorry for the long read, but after waiting so long for our vehicle, I have a lot to discuss about my journey and help/advice to give prospective buyers.

Hope that helps. How are you liking your RAV4 Hybrid? Are you also in the greater Austin area?

Registered
White w Black Roof XSE
Correct - I mention this in the paragraph that starts with "So the wait began/continued...." Sorry for the long read, but after waiting so long for our vehicle, I have a lot to discuss about my journey and help/advice to give prospective buyers.

Hope that helps. How are you liking your RAV4 Hybrid? Are you also in the greater Austin area?

The rav4 hybrid is a fine piece of engineering. I came from decades of Prii and the gen4 hybrid system is far better than earlier gens. Would love to have a Prime but our dealers were pretty uninformed and could not even call you back. So you must have gotten a good salesman at Cedar Park. There is a world of difference between sales people.

I did see where you were the squeaky wheel with Cedar Park but it was not clear they delivered versus the many others you mentioned.

It will be interesting to see the Rav4 Prime battery replacement costs ten years from now. With a Prius the prices came down but are still significant at $2k-2.5k for new cells on a minuscule 1.3 kwh battery.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts