Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking with a mechanic that will install my turbo kit this summer. He gave me a simple explanation of what is needed to install a turbo kit into the 3SFE engine.

If you are considering a turbocharger for the 3SFE engine, there are a few things you should know. The stock compression ratio on an 1997 3SFE engine is 9.5:1 and is really too high to truly take advantage of a high boost turbo kit. You can run a turbo on a stock motor with a factory EFI unit, but you must limit the boost to 4-6 lbs. The factory computer just does not have the capacity to retard the timing and add enough fuel to properly manage a high boost turbocharger.

This kid, [the cat as we know him] is a very knowledgeable dude regarding turbocharger and Toyotas. I hope the Greddy E-manage computer can fix this or at least give me the timing and gas [petrol] needed for it to run well. Ok guys, what do you think?

M

·
0 Posts
your turbo

I think if your ECU is reprogrammed, and have decent injectors.. it should be all okay. Maybe a fuel pump is needed, but I guess that's rather for a extreme mean turbo application.

Why not just get a turbo'd engine?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question, this is my everyday vehicle and I use it to work. I would take at least three week for installment. And you know they're going to be two or three surprises along the way. I can't do that. Besides, the 3SFE engine is good enough to see it rock and roll. Injectors, yes, Supra N/A 360cc. The computer will be working with the Greddy E-manage with everything it needs. BTW, welcome to the forum.

K

·
0 Posts
Standard 3S-FE compression ratio is not 9.5:1, but 11.0:1.

9.5:1 is very good for turbo. Up to 0.7 bar. or 9.8lbs. Standard 4G63 engines have compression ratios of 9.0:1. N/A engines generally have ratios of more than 10:1

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kidong said:
Standard 3S-FE compression ratio is not 9.5:1, but 11.0:1.

9.5:1 is very good for turbo. Up to 0.7 bars. or 9.8lbs. Standard 4G63 engines have compression ratios of 9.0:1. N/A engines generally have ratios of more than 10:1
Kidong, I guess that is Asian RAV4 has this CR, but here in PR, they have 9.5:1, trust me on that one.

Now that you mention it, I have a 2 bar MAP sensor from a MR2, 3SGTE engine, would it work with my setup? DJ Sueno says it might not work correctly. Let me also say, DJ Sueno is talking because he has first hand experience regarding this situation. It didn't work for him :?
Come back.................

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
mensajero said:
Now that you mention it, I have a 2 bar MAP sensor from a MR2, 3SGTE engine, would it work with my setup? DJ Sueno says it might not work correctly. Let me also say, DJ Sueno is talking because he has first hand experience regarding this situation. It didn't work for him :?
I am telling you it DOESN'T work... I already tried it.... I don't know if it's voltage related or ECU related... but it definitely messes with fuel or something... because the car runs like crap with it in.... either try it with it on the dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, or else take your chances of blowing your motor... that sensor has been successful with the 5SFE which has the 5SFE computer(obviously) ...
I tried that sensor many different ways... with the turbo setup on , and without it , either way the car ran like crap.....hesitation, lack of power, etc...etc....It also could be injector related....don't know...
If you can find some Toyota GURU who has successfully made it work on the "3SFE" than go for it... otherwise don't waste your time with it....
Sorry to sound harsh but i'm talking from experience.... just tryin' to save you headaches and possibly your motor....
but all in all it's your choice...

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJ Sueno said:
mensajero said:
I am telling you it DOESN'T work... I already tried it.... I don't know if it's voltage related or ECU related... but it definitely messes with fuel or something... because the car runs like crap with it in.... either try it with it on the dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, or else take your chances of blowing your motor... that sensor has been successful with the 5SFE which has the 5SFE computer(obviously) ...
I tried that sensor many different ways... with the turbo setup on , and without it , either way the car ran like crap.....hesitation, lack of power, etc...etc....It also could be injector related....don't know...
If you can find some Toyota GURU who has successfully made it work on the "3SFE" than go for it... otherwise don't waste your time with it....
Sorry to sound harsh but i'm talking from experience.... just tryin' to save you headaches and possibly your motor....
but all in all it's your choice...
You see kidong, from the mouth of the lion. My hope is that the E-manage from Greddy will do the job. And from the looks of it. I think it can work. It has a harness that works with the ignition system. Retarding and advancing the timing of the engine. It also has one for the Injectors. It will monitor the fuel and the ignition system.

·
Registered
542 Posts
by the way, that 170kph top speed is correct.. took mine out for a spin last weekend over some very nice, deserted & slightly down hill roads & got up to just past 170kph on the speedo very quickly (just testing like, honestly officer :roll: !!) but refused to go past even when i floored the gas!! just felt like i was being dragged back.. the rev limiter is very subtle coz i really didn't feel it kick in.. handles nice though, even at that speed :lol: !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts