Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been lurking and finally decided to create an account. so heres my first post.

Bought an 06 limited rav4 with 100k and it's been great.

Had my mechanic inspect it before i bought it, ran car proof reports, looked at the body and it's never been in an accident. Everything led to the car being clean and well maintained.

I got to take it on a test drive right when it was traded it. There was a noise on the right wheel when i did the swerve test test from right to left and back that sounded like a clunk. i notified the dealer and told them that i needed this fixed along with a couple things before i was to purchase the car.

Since i received the car the noise does not happen on the right side of the wheel anymore, it seems to have been fixed and gone away, the mechanic told me that it had something to do with poking a couple holes and adding more lube into the suspension.

But now sometimes when i turn to the right and the top of steering wheel goes from 12 oclock to 5 o'clock 'ish, i will feel a click light clunk/click somewhere in between the 3-4 o'clock mark. it feels like it's coming from the steering column and when it does it i can feel it lightly in the floor near my left foot.

It's not common, happens maybe a 2/10 times when turning, but is very hard to replicate again after it has happened.

i've tried turning under a bit of acceleration and turning under no acceleration all at different speeds but still haven't been able to replicate it when i want it to make that noise. It seems to just happen when it wants to.

The other day was colder and it seemed to be more prominent but would go away after a few minutes, in saying this it wouldn't happen all the time probably 3-4 times out 13 turns.

I took it to the toyota dealer and they had their mechanic look at it and unfortunately he couldn't replicate the noise and looked at the steering column and said there were no issues. He looked at it very in depth for me as it is a mechanic that i know personally.

I said i don't care if it costs a little extra just to get it fixed because i just want it to operate smoothly all of the time. It still operates fine but that little click once in a while bothers me a bit, probably my OCD ;)

It's not a major problem but i just thought it was weird that it happens from time to time. I had a camry that i ran to 350km's and the steering was always smooth, this is why i'm wondering if any of you guys have a similar issue.

any help would be great.

sorry for the long write up but i just wanted to paint a good picture of my situation.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
DVS, both your links are the same thread.

Our '06 Limited has had the same steering clunk since we bought it used 70,000 miles ago. Always while turning at slow or parking speeds. I know it's nothing serious (and don't have OCD) so I haven't bothered fixing it. Since my Accord is out on loan I drove the RAV4 today, probably 90 miles. I'm sure it clunked some at slow speeds but I never noticed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the speedy fast responses.

Well for me it's a huge upgrade from my camry which I drove forever. I was in the market for a rav4 because I haul around stuff but didn't want the full size SUV. I wanted anything from 06-12 depending on mileage and condition.

So as this is a newer car to me I would like to have it running super smooth cause it's new to me and everything else works great.

It looks like a cheap fix, I could find the part only cheap then pay my guy to install it, I'm guessing it should be under $200 for everything.

The only thing is that if that part that they replace is worn, then what about the pieces that clamps down on it? Wouldn't those teeth wear as well, or is that a harder metal?

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
The only thing is that if that part that they replace is worn, then what about the pieces that clamps down on it? Wouldn't those teeth wear as well, or is that a harder metal?
Now don't quote me on this but I believe what makes the noise is the shaft shifting in it's bushings because the grease has "hardened" somewhat with age. If teeth were wearing the steering would get loose. So I just let mine clunk and ignore it especially since it only happens on slow turns.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
DVS, both your links are the same thread.
Doc, I'm surprised. Did you read the text or try the links? The first link points to the top of the thread, which discusses replacing the shaft.

As the text of my post said, the second link points to a LATER posting in the thread (#37, on page 4), which is where the discussion begins for the lubricant injection method, which is completely different (and faster, and less expensive).

I can't help it if two very different solutions were posted in the same overall thread...

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Doc, I'm surprised. Did you read the text or try the links? The first link points to the top of the thread, which discusses replacing the shaft.

As the text of my post said, the second link points to a LATER posting in the thread (#37, on page 4), which is where the discussion begins for the lubricant injection method, which is completely different (and faster, and less expensive).

I can't help it if two very different solutions were posted in the same overall thread...
Yeah, no worries. I thought that's what you were doing and knew of the easier injection method but maybe because I have my 'puter set up on Legacy and latest post on top it didn't work right. Or maybe it did and I missed it???

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah, no worries. I thought that's what you were doing and knew of the easier injection method but maybe because I have my 'puter set up on Legacy and latest post on top it didn't work right. Or maybe it did and I missed it???
Yeah, whatevs. No big deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after looking at the thread that was linked above. I noticed that the tsb had the same part listed but it looks like the replacement has a different part number.

The original is 45221-42071 and the replacement is 45221-42080.

My questions are:
1) is the replacement available in Canada I found it on the USA site?
2) are there better aftermarket replacements or is it only Toyota that makes this part
3) does the replacement part last longer for wear and tear better than the oem.
4) why is the replacement part cheaper than the one originally made for the vehicle, I notice that there's about a 40-80 price gap between the part on different American sites.

I've searched eBay for the part but only come up with the 42071 version, I don't see the replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anybody know if the newer replacement part is better than original, looking to order the part but can't decide which one

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Anybody know if the newer replacement part is better than original, looking to order the part but can't decide which one
The correct part number for the N. American RAV4 is 45221-42070 according to toyodiy.com, which has always been spot on for me. Look up that part number on Google. Online Toyota parts sites have it for around $135.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts