Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
a whichintakeairfilterfiltersbesttest

I RECENTLY ADDED A K/N AIR INTAKE REPLACEMENT FILTER IN TO MY RAV4 PLUS A NEW TTE TWIN EXHAUST AND IT HAS MADE A LOT OF DIFFERANCE TO THE PERFORMANCE, IT PULLS AWAY ALOT SMOOTHER AND TOP END LIFT IS ALOT BETTER. I STILLFANCY PUTTING A K/N COLD AIR INTAKE ON TO IT TO SEE IF THEY ARE AS GOOD AS THEY SAY THEY ARE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Put my K&N in last night, unfortunitly is was raining this morning on the drive to work so "stepping on it" was out of the question. Hope it dries up for the ride home.

It did seem a tad more responsive to the throttle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mensajero said:
When installing remember to reprogram your ECU. Just disconnect the positive battery terminal. Leave it off for a few minutes and then reinstall it.
Does the ECU only program itself for the first few hundred miles? I would think it would constantly be averaging the previous driving experiance and recalculating itself, isn't that the point of an ECU that programs itself? It can adapt and change as the engine changes needs.

I could be wrong but if they did it the way everyone says it sort of kills the point of the technology in the first place.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i think the ecu remembers the last 40 starts or so. if you make a change to the engine, it can run like a dog coz it can't adapt to it until it's averaged out the last 40 starts. pulling the battery resets the ecu to it's default settings and it starts averaging-out again from the first start with the engine change/mod. therefore, it will adapt the change/mod much faster.

so much for the theory.. just try it in practice!! a mechanic will pull the battery anyway if he/she's doing anything in the engine & it'll drive ok after it's reconnected.

·
Registered
97 Posts
peterpogi2005 said:
i think the ecu remembers the last 40 starts or so. if you make a change to the engine, it can run like a dog coz it can't adapt to it until it's averaged out the last 40 starts. pulling the battery resets the ecu to it's default settings and it starts averaging-out again from the first start with the engine change/mod. therefore, it will adapt the change/mod much faster.

so much for the theory.. just try it in practice!! a mechanic will pull the battery anyway if he/she's doing anything in the engine & it'll drive ok after it's reconnected.
Oh not that I was scared to pull the battery, did it a month ago to install my amatuer Radio, just curious how the technology worked, couldn't see it just using the first hundred miles to decide how the engine would run for the rest of it's life unless reset.

It's having to reset the radio that I hate! lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
mensa.....with all the mods and upgrades you did.....you disconnected your batterries with the same number of times you modified your car?????..........

:wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
What a lowsy test. There are better more scientific tests out there. It is pretty common knowledge that K&N filters don't do a very good job with the smaller particles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts