Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I have been searching for some info on the correct placement of the GPS module for my DashCam and have yet to find any…. I've searched here and in DashCam Talk forum.

Is there an optimal place to place the module? Should it have a clear unimpeded view through the windshield or can it be mounted under the dash but not behind any metal?

Thanks for any info or suggestions

Cheers
Rob
:wink

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Street Guardian SG9665GC which is basically the same cam but different internals. I didn't put the GPS module on mine but I've seen them mounted in the upper left and right corners of the windshield. I don't think they'll work under the dash.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,722 Posts
Greetings!

I have been searching for some info on the correct placement of the GPS module for my DashCam and have yet to find any…. I've searched here and in DashCam Talk forum.

Is there an optimal place to place the module? Should it have a clear unimpeded view through the windshield or can it be mounted under the dash but not behind any metal?

Thanks for any info or suggestions

Cheers
Rob
:wink
My brother-in-law stuck his on the far front corner of the dash on the passenger side and it works great. I took a different tack--I removed the 4 screws, opened up the GPS unit, flipped the circuit board over and re-assembled it. Then I stuck it to the dash in the dotted area on the opposite side of the dashcam. It also works great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! Great idea, I like the thought of it all close and camo'd by the ceramic dot pattern. One thought though… my command start is right next to the camera… I think we're talking different types of radio frequencies but is there a possibility of interference from the command start receiver?

Cheers!
Rob

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Cool! Great idea, I like the thought of it all close and camo'd by the ceramic dot pattern. One thought though… my command start is right next to the camera… I think we're talking different types of radio frequencies but is there a possibility of interference from the command start receiver?

Cheers!
Rob
I have my dashcam (also an A118, but no separate GPS module) on one side of the mirror, and remote start receiver on the other side of the mirror.

No problems with either.

Reactions: GreenmanYQR
1 - 5 of 5 Posts