Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI..follow up to earlier post..asked the leading Tranny guy in my area about fluids after my mechanic had said Dexron was fine,,,guy has 45 yrs. experience and great reputation..says it's fine, been using it for yrs..also asked about an additive called Lubeguard that my mechanic likes..he likes it as well..At first my mechanic filled mine with Dex, then had him replace with T4...felt better with the Dex and the additive..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Found this on BITOG:
"I have done some research on this. JWS-3309/Type T/IV spec ATF is quite possibly VERY similar to Dexron III, with one exception- T/IV has more friction modifiers. T/IV is backwards compatible into transmissions that take Dexron III, however using a Dexron III ATF in a transmission that requires Type T/IV may (keyword may, likely will not) produce undesirable shift operation due to the lack of friction modifiers. This is why Universal ATF's exist and are not B.S., because you likely want those friction modifiers in the T/IV transmission, however the Dexron III transmission does not care. So they put them in the Universal ATF and it works fine in both."

Therefore, use what you wish... I will only use T4 because it has always worked for me. Although I believe stretching scheduled maintenance when flushing fluid will contribute to the risks of a problem transmission. I still wonder if there is magic inside some automatic transmissions? :nerd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put in T4..was noisier than dex6 or whatever number it's up to...added lubegard..feels better, smoother and quieter..tranny guy drove it..said they tend to be noisy and have big gears..even if noisy, no issues and gears what likely look fine if removed..lots of experience..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts