Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing change oil at toyota service center and it cost me around $25. I'm planning to do the change oil at non-toyota service center (ex. jiffylube or wallmart) which is almost $5 cheaper.

is there any "major" effect on my rav4 if i do that? or do i need to buy oil from toyota service center and let other do the change oil?

thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally, I don't see any problems if it is a high grade (i.e. name brand) oil. I will mention this, a person I used to work with went to one of the cheapo places to have their oil changed and besides stripping out the drain plug and having to replace the oil pan, they put transmission fluid instead of oil in the car. This is why I prefer to do it myself.

The only other negative that I can see might be in using a non-Toyota filter, I don't recall seeing any comments on them being better than standard filters out of the store, but in examining a name brand filter compared to my Honda filter, there was an additional layer of filter material in my Honda filter. So when comparing the price (when you buy at least six, from the Honda dealership) there was a negligible difference in price compared to going in an auto parts place or Wal Mart.

I am sure this ought to open up a lively discussion! :)

Good luck
Ken

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would never let Jiffy Losers, or any of those oil change places for that matter, touch my vehicle. Ever. They'll do something wrong, like over fill the oil, use the wrong oil, not put the filter on tight enough, strip the drain plug or something really stupid. The RAV is the easiest oil change ever, you don't even have to jack it up. Do it yourself. Use a major brand of oil and a Purolator Pure One filter. Cost you about $11 and an hour of your time.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Getting the oil changed at a Toyota dealer compared to a place such as Jiffy Lube is much like eating at a decent restaurant compared to a fast food place. Both places will feed you, but the fast food place, because it is cheaper, will not be as good as the decent restaurant, and you are more likely to get sick eating the food there.

This is not to say Toyota dealerships are not without their share of problems, but they are more likely to do a better job than a quick-lube place, and I don't think $5 is enough of a difference to matter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
nouse4aname said:
Absolutely. Changing the oil on the RAV is easier than any other vehicle I've owned.
...Can't trust those quick change places. Heck, you can't even trust the dealer all the time. Just DIY.
Agree with nouse, either stick to a "trustworthy" shop or DIY. I do it myself, the only minor drawback is disposing (properly) of the used oil... With nouse's step-by-step (photos included) you can't go wrong.

Cheers!

Philo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts