Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering upgrading my '13 RAV for a SUV/CUV that has all these new safety features, but I'm trying to figure out if it's REALLY worth paying an extra 2 years to get!

So, for those who have made the jump to newer models that have the automatic braking detection, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warnings, etc, do you feel that they're all worth it? I don't have a problem with this in my normal day to day driving, but for whenever I COULD use it, it'd be nice to have.

My RAV has had no problems at all, but these features sound like they're really great to have..... just dunno if they're great enough to trade in a perfectly fine car to get. HELP!

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you are an experienced driver, sticking to your 13 will probably be better as the RAV4 is due for a complete makeover in 2 years time.

I only drove home my wife's RAV4 from the dealership and from home to Costco and back (about 5-6 miles). For someone like me who is only 5'6" but with a slightly longer torso, I had a problem looking across to the rear passenger side (diagonally) to check the blind spot, even with no passenger seated. The rear driver side was clearly visible. BSM could be helpful in this regard but the side mirrors on the RAV4 are already so expansive that it is possible to capture all the blind spot in it (you know, when you can't see the side of your car in your mirror).

I did not even set the lane departure on because I didn't want to give control to the car (I know there's a setting where it's purely and audible and visible warning with no computer intervention) but my wife doesn't do a lot of really long distance driving on the highway anyway and the warning might prove equally distracting as it is helpful.

I did set the automatic braking on, but set it to the least sensitive level because I only want it to work in a real close encounter and not have to bother in cases when it isn't justified.

The parking assistant is helpful as our garage is quite tight and my wife can go by this when she brings the car in. I probably will have to put a painter's tape on the wall so that she can align that marking with the side mirror and know when to stop.

I think it's best for you to go read the manual, if it's available online so you can hone in on those features. There are so many caveats and warnings when these safety features will not work properly (likely to cover Toyota from any litigations) that I'm not sure they will work when the need arises. I have yet to sign up over at Club Toyota to get my pdf copy but I can post it once I get a hold of the copy.

There's also a warning about high pressure or automatic car washes messing around with the sensors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Personally I believe the additional safety features are worth it. Blind spot monitoring is a great feature. If the mirror is lit up you don't even think about changing lanes in that direction until it clears. I've already experienced the blessing of rear cross traffic alert in a parking lot when another car was speeding down the aisle as I was backing up. Have yet to experience pedestrian detection and collision avoidance but it is another great parking lot feature that could help you avoid injuring someone.

Yes, I have done without those features until now, but the extra measure of protection from accidents is worth it to me.

Recently my wife had 2 accidents that would have been prevented by these safety features. First she backed up into another vehicle and second she bumped into another vehicle that suddenly stopped. The parking sensors would have cured the first and collision avoidance the second. Our insurance bill went up and then there was the deductibles to pay plus the inconvenience of the collision repair process. Fortunately there were no injuries, but there could have been.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts