Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, been lurking around the forums for quite a few months now. So I am looking at signing the dotted line on a 2010 Toyota rav 4 sport with 61k miles on it. The delearship is asking 13k for it. Am I over paying or is this a good deal? Also, offering an extended warranty for about $1800 that will give me 4 years or up until 150k miles. Would I need such a warranty? Also, the car fax on this thing is one of the best that I have seen on a car. All maintenance done at Toyota dealerships, recalls done. Is this a bad year rav 4? Anything to look out for? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The 2010 I4 is super reliable. Advise skip the $1800 aftermarket warranty. If you like peace of mind, put that in the bank as your repair fund if needed. My 7-year factory extended warranty expired without being used, now at 90k miles no problems. None.

The Sport model has the stiffest ride of all the RAVs. Do (another) test drive over some typical roads and see if that is okay for you. It can become annoying for some, probably the most common rap on all the RAVs. Not necessarily a deal breaker.

You didn't fill out your location on your profile, and prices and value do vary. Cars from the salty roads of Buffalo, or worse, the recent flood areas of Louisiana, would be less value than say, Modesto. $13k seems a little high for a 2WD, but you know the market in your area better. Check Craigs List, Autotrader, etc for comparisons. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That is a pretty good part of the country climate-wise and okay for 2WD. It is a little close to some of the recent floods, so check that it isn't a flood car. You can use AutoTraders, Car Gurus.com and other sites evaluate your price and to check other deals to compare, and have some big markets in Tulsa and OK City which is a plus.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hello all, been lurking around the forums for quite a few months now. So I am looking at signing the dotted line on a 2010 Toyota rav 4 sport with 61k miles on it. The delearship is asking 13k for it. Am I over paying or is this a good deal? Also, offering an extended warranty for about $1800 that will give me 4 years or up until 150k miles. Would I need such a warranty? Also, the car fax on this thing is one of the best that I have seen on a car. All maintenance done at Toyota dealerships, recalls done. Is this a bad year rav 4? Anything to look out for? Thanks in advance.
If you have the VIN, register on Toyota dot com and you'll be able to see any maintenance ever performed on the car by a Toyota dealer. Carfax isn't always the last word. I once looked up my 99 Forester, that I bought brand new, on Carfax and found it had been in an accident in another state that I've never been to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think 13k is a little pricey for a 2010 4 banger and no 4 wheel drive. I was thinking of listing my 2010 S.A.P. v6 Sport with 72k for 12 grand. Search around and im sure you can find a better Rav or better price. Also skip the warranty, you wont need it lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really wanted to find a v6, but I couldn't find one that had around the same amount of miles and wasn't 3-4K more. This one is certified pre-owned. I purchased it the other day. It's not a bad little vehicle but I'm a bigger guy and it's kinda cramped up front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2010 Rav4 Sport 2.5L FWD ($11,000) and recently took it on a long trip to Clemson, SC. Loaded it down and no lack of power EXCEPT on one occasion: I missed my Hemi Grand Cherokee when we had to get back on the highway on a steep uphill on-ramp to 70mph traffic. It did OK power-wise everywhere else but that ramp. The 2.5L used no oil at all and the windshield was the only noisy area where we had the 20-30mph headwinds. I wonder if a hood 'aero lip' might help that? No regrets on the 4cyl FWD instead of AWD or a V6. So far, two thumbs up!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
BManz: I don't want to seem like a salesman, but Weathertech's bug and stone deflector is excellent. It does not help with noise from side wind, but it doesn't hurt, either. Weathertech is an all-around good designer and manufacturer. The bug deflector is easy to install, too. My 2011 is the same as your 2010 for accessories. Let me add that their floor liners are awesome. We have a lot of snow here and the floor liners are just full of snow and none leaks out along the edges. The fit and materials are 100% good.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My research says that $13K is a good price. I've been looking at the Rav4's for my daughter all through the central deep south (upper/mid Alabama, Georgia, Tennesee), and a certified pre-owned '10 at $13K is a good price around here. It's above what my daughter can afford, so we're really actually looking for a private sale on either a base '09 with the FWD s.4L or an '04-'08 with the V6, any of them needing to be between 100-150K miles just to keep her price down. That said, I'm typically seeing the '10's hanging all over the $12-16K price range, especially with the mileage you've found.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
F250,
Apparently that buy-from-the-buyer $6,900 '09 RAV4 didn't work out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, Fred, it didn't. I never heard back from the other buyer, and have no way to contact him. The car also has not shown back up on either CL or Autotrader, so I can only surmise that he already had another buyer lined up for more than I was wanting to pay.

I've found another couple of '09's I'm interested in, but they are both 3-1/2 hours away from me (one north, and the other south), and this weekend is out since I have to spend some time on my truck -- find my brake fluid leak, proactively replace all the original 290K mile rubber lines with braided SS right, and replace the hydrabooster behind my brake master cylinder. The following weekend, too, is already tied up with me replacing the sway bar end links and inner & outer tie rods on my daughter's '07 Volvo S60.

I doubt either of the two '09's I'm looking at will be available long enough to go to the third weekend, so I'll just have to keep my eyes open and perhaps find something closer in the meantime. Regardless, we are not in a rush by any means, and I have the luxury of about 6 months to find the right vehicle. I just want to get it in hand as quickly as possible while my youngest daughter is still learning to drive. That way, I will have ample time to drive it myself and make sure any kinks and all proactive maintenance items are completely caught up so she can ride with greater confidence and less risk of getting stranded with any kind of problem with a hose, belt, tire, plugs, sensor. etc.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It's above what my daughter can afford, so we're really actually looking for a private sale on either a base '09 with the FWD s.4L or an '04-'08 with the V6
FYI, the '06 model was the first year that offered the V6.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just wanted to give everyone an update. I was able to talk them down to 12.5k and a new set of Yokohama yk580's on the vehicle. I'm pretty happy with it. My sales man said it was kinda hard to get rid of because people didn't like the color. It is a hunter green. I'm not going to lie. It's not my first choice in color but it's not bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One of my sons has the Hunter Green on his '99 4Runner. Like you say, it's not bad, but is certainly liveable for the good vehicle. There are certainly worse shades of green out there!

·
Registered
36 Posts
FYI, the '06 model was the first year that offered the V6.

Thanks for that tidbit. We are actually looking at 04-05 and 09 I4's, or only V6 engines in the 06-08 years.

I have three in my sights right now, and I might just have to put off my brake system repairs to jump on one of them this weekend. Two are '09 I4's, one of them with verified good history and waiting to hear back from the seller on the second. The third is a '07 with the V6, more options, and really good history. All three are within $1500 of each other, the '07 being the highest at about $7900. The two with the known histories are sitting at about 130-140K miles, and the non-verified '09 is actually the lowest price ($6450) with only 109K miles and is the most basic vehicle but has the most preferable color for my daughter -- that makes this particular vehicle the hands down preference if I can just get the seller to supply the VIN for my history checks.

EDIT: Well, just over the phone, I've got the guy with the '07 down to $7200. However, the guy just told me it was AWD, but my VIN checks do not confirm that. Though the Limited version and leather interior are not necessary, they do help make that vehicle a little more attractive than the '09's.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks for that tidbit. We are actually looking at 04-05 and 09 I4's, or only V6 engines in the 06-08 years.
That's exactly what I'd be doing!

The 04 and 05 models had the same I4 engine the 06-08s did, but for some reason the 04 and 05 models didn't have the oil burning issue. Maybe they changed the manufacturing process for 06.

EDIT: Well, just over the phone, I've got the guy with the '07 down to $7200. However, the guy just told me it was AWD, but my VIN checks do not confirm that. Though the Limited version and leather interior are not necessary, they do help make that vehicle a little more attractive than the '09's.
AWD can be very beneficial in moderately slick conditions, even a heavy rain or muddy/sandy roads. Though great tires can trump the AWD advantage if the AWD has crummy tires.

The V6 also adds additional towing capacity, if that's at all desirable.

BTW, the V6 seems to get the same or slightly *better* MPG than the I4 on the highway. This is because the V6 doesn't have to work so hard, and has an extra gear in the transmission (V6s have 5-speed transmissions, I4s only have 4-speed transmissions).

Though for purely city driving, the I4 clearly beats the V6 for MPG.

The hard shell on the spare tire for the limited is VASTLY easier to remove and put back on than the zip-up vinyl shell on the Base and Sport models, BTW. If stuck on the side of the road, that could be a significant help.

Base models often had steel wheels which could rust, whereas Limiteds have alloy wheels which won't rust.

I think the Limiteds back then had fog lights as well, which can be helpful and perhaps add a bit of safety in poor weather.

So there are a number of pros and cons for each.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
For various reasons, my wife a I have decided to back off the early purchase of a RAV4 for my daughter. We will simply wait until she has her license and begin the search again at that point, which will probably be late summer to early fall.

Reactions: ravenuer
1 - 20 of 20 Posts