Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,
About to buy my first Toyota. It will be for my 16 yr old daughter. It only has 38k miles. It's the base model, but has a sunroof and 17" alloy wheels. Previous owner had nice leather installed as well.

I have a few questions though. Hopefully you nice folks can help me out.

1. Without having a few days to dig through all the forum posts, are there any obvious known problems I should look for before purchasing?
2. The shiny spare tire cover has a boo boo. Does a nice vinyl cover look okay on the vehicle instead of the fiberglass one.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
You could also try to get a spare tire cover off Ebay or Craigslist ....

Are you getting 2Wd or 4WD?

As any other car, listen for obvious noises at different speeds, with window closed and open and different accelaerations. Again, there is nothing specially wrong with the 2011.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Good day,
About to buy my first Toyota. It will be for my 16 yr old daughter. It only has 38k miles. It's the base model, but has a sunroof and 17" alloy wheels. Previous owner had nice leather installed as well.
I think you both will be pleased. The 2011 is very dependable, with a great engine. You're making the right choice.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
DO put one or more wheel locks on the spare, cover or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Officially joined the club

Well we purchased the RAV4. It's a great looking and ride. Looks like I'll get to drive it till my daughter turns 16.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

:wink

·
Registered
403 Posts
Agreed the 2009 and forward I4 is a very reliable engine. My 2009 I4 does not burn a drop of oil and runs like a clock.
The idea of no spare cover is not a good one. I've read many times that the Sun's UV rays will eventually ruin the spare.
You made a good choice.:smile

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vanib- trust me I'm going to hold out as long as possible. Good thing is I get to drive it for several months before she turns 16.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, did this model only come with one key that has the remote buttons? I was given one remote lock/unlock key and one plain key. Being used, maybe the original owner lost one?
I just read up on the Tech Stream software thread to program a key, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
So, did this model only come with one key that has the remote buttons? I was given one remote lock/unlock key and one plain key. Being used, maybe the original owner lost one?
I just read up on the Tech Stream software thread to program a key, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.
Yes, it originally came with 3 keys, 2 remote keys and one valet key. Too many owners seem to be very careless with these expensive keys. Some buyers of used RAVs only get the valet key, which can't unlock the glove box and can't be duplicated because of the immobilizer chip. Personally, I would put "Get a new master key made" at the top of my to do list. When that remote key gets lost, it's too late, and will cost a lot more to replace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts