Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am hoping to find a gently used V6. Preferably 2009 or later. how bad of an idea is this?

what i really am looking for is something that can handle NY weather, Vermont mountains (chasing storms to snowboard/ski) and carry my surfboards while having a bit of pep/fun to drive factor with low maintenance.

reason i am cancelling the FXT is b/c a) i really wanted a manual b) i no longer feel comfortable spending $30k.

my concerns? i've never bought used and am afraid of getting burned.

i welcome any thoughts.

thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Before I buy a used vehicle I check the vehicle reviews on the internet, if buying from a dealer check the dealer's reputation, Better Business Bureau rating and dealer warranty if any (never buy "as is"), get a Car Fax report, get invoice proof that required maintenance was preformed, have an independent mechanic check the vehicle, and most importantly, hope you are lucky.:smile

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All North American RAV4s 2006-2015 are automatic only.
aware. i just meant why spend the $30k+ on a car i only partially want. i really wanted the FXT to have manual. if i feel i am settling, i might end up being unhappy dropping that much coin.

i have thus started to look for a more "frugal" option and the RAV4, from what i can tell, seems to check a lot of my boxes.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
i am hoping to find a gently used V6. Preferably 2009 or later. how bad of an idea is this?
I think this is a great idea! I would look for a 2011-2012 V6. There is nothing on the market today comparable to it. Go for the Limited if you can find one--the price difference on the used market from the base and Sport isn't much, and you will get a much better equipped vehicle. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
My only issue with the 2009-2012 is the possible transmission whine. Read up the posts on this issue to see when you should expect to hear it and try to replicate it on your test drive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this is a great idea! I would look for a 2011-2012 V6. There is nothing on the market today comparable to it. Go for the Limited if you can find one--the price difference on the used market from the base and Sport isn't much, and you will get a much better equipped vehicle. Good luck!
thank you. i've never bought used before. do you suggest going private party or to a dealer?

will they be able to handle some decent northeast snow (with tires of course)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

agreed, 2011-2012 have all the kinks worked out, no rear suspension recall either...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
thank you. i've never bought used before. do you suggest going private party or to a dealer?

You will get a better price from a private party. Plus, you get to meet the previous owner and thus get a better idea of how well he takes care of his vehicles. Sorry, I don't have much experience with the white stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I love Subarus. My fantasy car is a Forrester with a WRX drivetrain. But, I have to agree with JuneBug's comment. It's "a great idea!" especially because there is nothing comparable to the V6 today. I bought an '11 V6 Ltd. I did have the dreaded transmission whine. However, thanks to this forum and info about the relevant TSB, Toyota replaced the tranny much to my satisfaction.

However, unlike JuneBug, I do have to deal with the dreaded white stuff. I live in Northwest NJ in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains near the Appalachian Trail. We get snow amounts measured in feet!:surprise

My RAV has no trouble at all in snow. As vanib implied, with snow tires you could go pretty much anywhere. The other thing I like about the RAV AWD system is that it unobtrusively kicks in only when needed versus running all the time, e.g., BMW. That saves on gas and on drivetrain wear and tear. Follow the other suggestions here and you will be a happy camper. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I have experience with the white stuff, too, and I live a block away from two big lakes that freeze over. The RAV4 is just no fun on the ice. Can't cut cookies. Its intelligent traction systems are just too good. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have experience with the white stuff, too, and I live a block away from two big lakes that freeze over. The RAV4 is just no fun on the ice. Can't cut cookies. Its intelligent traction systems are just too good. :)
You'll have more fun if you press and hold for about 7 seconds the button in front of the left front cup holder on you 2011, which will turn off the nannies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought my '12 Base V6 (lease return with I guess the appearance package- sunroof, alloy wheels, etc and Toyota Certified Used) with only 23,000 on the clock about a month ago for $20,494. The trans was replaced at 14K due to the whine. I'm loving the V6 power. Minnesota winters are a pain so I'm looking forward (not really) for the snow handling capabilities.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

Well a used car salesman is a trained professional liar whereas a private owner is not.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I bought our first Toyota, a few months ago.
- found listed in Kijiji (Canadian CraigsList)
- wanted Limited model with v6, power heated leather seats, moon roof, tow package with 3,500 lb. capacity & mileage well under 100,000Km or 62,000 miles

^^ Found one mint 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 example locally (looked for 6 months).
- had everything on our wish list, for options
- a Doctor vehicle, with 1 year remaining on full extended warranty
- always dealer maintained with 89,000 Km or 55,000 miles
- it ended up costing us 33 cents on the dollar, compared to a 2015 loaded model
- the v6 is so quick and fun to drive...set the cruise, and gets very decent gas mileage on highway
Best part is, we saved $5,000 buy not buying from a dealer / found a cheaper gem, that still drives like a brand new car.
- I have never gone to a dealer in over 25 years & always buy private, because I don't want to be car poor ever and stuck with sizable monthly payments...over 5-6-7 years

But it does take research, patience, a good educated eye, plus negotiating skills, to make a very solid used vehicle purchase and at a decent price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand your conundrum, after recently purchasing a used 2012 V6 Limited, and having formerly owned a 2004 Forester XT 5speed.
I bought the Forester new for 25k, and it was a lot of vehicle for the money, fast, fun, heated seats... Of course I made some modifications to it, lowered it slightly with Forester STI springs, aftermarket rims and tires, STI seay bar, and full exhaust, header, uppipe and downpipe.
Loved the car, put a lot of miles on for work, and at around 114k miles I lost compression in a cylinder and didn't really have the time or money to dive into the problem, so sold the car as is for 5k(book value was 11k). So in a little over 4 years I lost over 20k on it. Next two times I bought used cars with 50k miles on them and lost only 1k a year on those. Thus telling myself to never buy a new car again. Which leads me to my recent purchase, I wanted a "cool truck" like a Tacoma, but realized the bed is great only 10percent of the time, the rest of the time, that truck is more than I need for work(commute) and play. So I searched for something with best mpg that can tow more than 3k lbs with strong resale value that still looked cool. This is very limited thus coming to the conclusion I'd get the RAV4 V6, and ended up going with the limited to treat myself and my wife to some luxury. With plans to put slightly larger tires for a more aggressive look and better performance driving on the beaches here in Long Island and more aggressive tread for snow in the winter. Also added a matching spare, as well as a few other small mods and a few months later I feel like I have the best of both worlds. Those big tires really hurt my city mpg, but honestly it's the perfect "truck" for me, can tow my Jetboat and trailer for other toys. Has plenty of storage inside because the tire is on the back, and the keyless entry, heated leather, sunroof, nav, etc really round out the package. Timing chain engine and alotta hp, not even close to the 0-60 of my 04FXT but plenty of power and speed for normal driving.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed, and FYI, think I paid 20,300 or something like that with 24k miles from a Mazda dealer.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I only buy use and I prefer to buy from a new car dealer. The reason being they keep the cream puffs and auction the rest. Plus most quality dealers have the Car Fax of the vehicle on their website so you can see # of previous owners and repair maintenance history.

Living in New York snow country myself, AWD or 4WD is NO substitute for winter tires. AWD/4WD helps in acceleration and nothing else. In 51 years of driving in snow country I never had awd or 4 wd. I see in your winter sport situation it would probably be a good buy for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying a Subaru....the outback may be my next purchase after dealing with Toyota and their slow to nill response on wanting to fix their oil burning engines!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts