Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

When I first saw that there was a rav4 xse I jumped at the chance to put a down payment on one. I have until friday to either get my downpayment refunded or purchase the vehicle. I was 100% on board until I ran in to this forum. As this is my first hybrid, I already had concerns about what happens when the hybrid battery dies. But the fill up has got me concerned...

For those who have the rav4 hybrid, how many are experiencing the gas tank fill up issue? I know there have been quite a few people but compared to the overall numbers, how many hybrids do you think are affected? I brought the concern to my sales person this past weekend and all they told me was that they knew of the problem but because it does not affect the engine/trans directly, there is not a tsb/recall that toyota is planning to do as of yet.

I get that it does not affect performance, but if we are going to pay in upwards of $39k otd, shouldn't you be purchasing a vehicle without a problem from the beginning? Unfortunately due my previous car dying, I need to purchase a vehicle on friday. It's either the rav4 hybrid or a offroad 4x4 tacoma (i know it's apples to oranges). I love the gas mileage in the rav4, but am a little concerned with paying $39k cash for a vehicle with a problem that toyota does not acknowledge that it's a real problem. Am I just being paranoid?

Thank you for all your input

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one without the problem but what is the difference, filling up at 350/400 miles or 500. Otherwise the car is very good and it does not affect the MPG you get. I think you probably will have to fill-up the Tacoma at similar miles per tank, just with a LOT more gallons.

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are as many views on this as there are owners here. I don’t like having the problem and I expect Toyota to do something about it. It’s unacceptable. But I’m also not in a panic over it. I have a case number and I expect resolution. It probably won’t happen as quickly as I’d like though.

I’m getting great MPG, at least as good as the EPA numbers. Unlike some owners I don’t care much about DTE as long as I’m getting the claimed MPG. I also don’t care much whether the reserve is 4 gallons, 2.2 gallons, or 1 gallon, because I don’t drive it to Empty or even to the low fuel light. I refuel when the gauge drops below 1/4.

Aside from that one refuelling to Full issue I’m super happy with my XSE. I wouldn’t try to lemon the car over that even if it doesn’t get fixed “correctly”, as opposed to say a simple fuel gauge recalibration (which is what I’ve predicted they will eventually do).

Of course if the refuel problem gets seriously worse in very cold weather my opinion may change. :) Or it could change when I wake up in the morning. ;)

The next big controversy will be falling MPG numbers due to cold weather. The ICE has to run more to make cabin heat, winter fuel blend lowers MPG, obviously snow will affect MPG. That is to be expected.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have about 3500 miles on an XSE Japan built. No filling problems. Keep in mind ALL Toyota’s have a large reserve. Too much focus on Distance To Empty “DTE” I have no doubt there are some problems filling to full but many are just unfamiliar with Toyota and are unhappy with a large reserve.

My 2013 Tundra has a 26.4 gallon tank, when the low fuel light comes on I am only able to put in about 20-21 gallons, my Camry Hybrid has a 16 gallon tank and when the light comes in I can only put in about 10-11 gallons. The XSE when the light comes in I can only put in about 10-11 gallons. The reason for this is to keep the fuel pump cool.

I was aware of the possibility of fueling problems when I purchased it but wasn’t concerned. Even if mine had a problem I would still be pleased with the purchase. My wife honestly wouldn’t have even noticed! She is under strict instructions to NEVER top off the tank on any automobile. FYI she has only filled it once.

My Avg. mpg is about 39-40! The wife just drives it like any other car.. With a little effort you can easily beat EPA estimates. I did drive 60 miles past “fill now” warning just to test fueling a nearly empty tank, And had No problems.

I believe there are some with problems and Toyota is investigating? But it too many people are complaining based on DTE. In my opinion this hurts those that have a real problem?

My parents have a 2007 Prius with 175,000 miles no battery problems, our Camry Hybrid 90,000 no problem.

Never was a fan of the RAV4 but the 2019’s are outstanding!

·
Registered
872 Posts
As many others, I have this problem but am a big fan of the Rav4 hybrid otherwise. I’m wondering about how really cold weather might affect the situation be just don’t know. All cars get worse mpg in the winter, hybrids included. My Prius v normally gets in the low 40s in summer and medium to high 30s when temps get down to zero and below. I expect the Rav could drop into the low to mid 30s.
As part of your test drive, I’d go to the gas station with a sales person or Service Adviser and see how it goes. You’ll probably want only a half tank or less and fill it up like you normally would and see what the gas gauge says. If it’s still well below full, it could have this problem.
As for me, if Toyota continues to do nothing to fix this problem, I’ll be looking for a new company to buy any new cars from. As of yet I’ve no idea who that might be.
BTW, the battery is not a concern for me at this point. I’ve owned three Toyo hybrids and have never had an issue with any of the batteries.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do not have the tank filling issue on my Canadian built ‘19 XLE and I’m getting better than the EPA mileage estimate.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am 99% happy with mine and I do have the issue. I would ask them to allow you to take the car out for a test drive and having it filled up. Mine did it from the start, from my first tank fill up.

That way you know what you are getting into. You might not be as concerned if you live in a warmer area. But you might not want to put up with it if you experience really cold winters.

I expect Toyota to fix it at some point. Just not as fast as I would like.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Got one without the fuelling issue, but I personally would not stop my-self from buying a great car because I am short 2 gallons of gas when I fill it up. Sure it sucks and it's not as advertise, but everything else is amazing on this SUV. Plus, I assume they will eventually have a fix when they get sued for false advertising.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Got one without the fuelling issue, but I personally would not stop my-self from buying a great car because I am short 2 gallons of gas when I fill it up. Sure it sucks and it's not as advertise, but everything else is amazing on this SUV. Plus, I assume they will eventually have a fix when they get sued for false advertising.
I agree totally with you.
Great car, I love it...

But took 15 minutes to call Toyota,
get a reference number,
and will get notified first if there is any resolution.

Its to your advantage to log your issues, and then, Enjoy the Car!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Happy I bought? Yes. Perfect car? None I ever bought has been. Too complex for that. But mine is pretty darn close. AT 3000+ miles I have no reason to go to a dealer. I can wait for a fix and I can even live without one as I can drive longer even on a short fill than I want to go without stopping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New XSE owner here. I'm only 750 miles into mine and I likely have a faulty gauge/tank but I still like the car. When my light comes on and my DTE is at 20 I can only put 11.4 gallons in the tank. My biggest issue is that my MPG is only at 35 but I'm still breaking in the engine so only time will tell if it gets better. I only bought the car because of the 40 mpg and I have yet to see that in the real world.

·
Registered
216 Posts
New XSE owner here. I'm only 750 miles into mine and I likely have a faulty gauge/tank but I still like the car. When my light comes on and my DTE is at 20 I can only put 11.4 gallons in the tank. My biggest issue is that my MPG is only at 35 but I'm still breaking in the engine so only time will tell if it gets better. I only bought the car because of the 40 mpg and I have yet to see that in the real world.

It's a great car!! You made a Great choice.
Toyota will fix it!! 👍 👍 👍 👍

These are real numbers, from a car with a GOOD Fill up.

11.6 gallons - EMPTY and 10 more miles ( DTE after fill = 525 )
12.1 gallons - EMPTY and 35 more miles ( DTE after fill = 550 )
10.3 gallons - 30 miles left - LOW fuel light just came on ( DTE after fill = 515 )
12.3 gallons - EMPTY and 35 more miles ( DTE after fill = 555 )
12.0 gallons - EMPTY and 30 more miles ( DTE after fill = 540 )
11.6 gallons - EMPTY and 10 more miles ( DTE after fill = 550 )
12.8 gallons - EMPTY and 90 more miles ( DTE after fill = 560 )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only mildly do I have the problem... it takes about 11 gallons a fill up. It definitely isn't "full full", just full, at the line. I don't top off, and I am still getting usually over 500 miles per tank. I wouldn't be thinking twice about it if I hadn't been on this forum.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a Japan built XSE with the fill problem. I’m averaging 42 mpg with just over 4,200 miles. I’m not happy about the fill problem but I will mention it at my 5,000 mile service. I’m confident Toyota will solve the issue. I have no reservations and I would purchase the exact same car again.

I own a 2013 Avalon Hybrid with 111K miles and haven’t had a single problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your responses. It put my mind at ease about purchasing the rav4.

Since this is my first purchase of a brand new car, I was wondering if you guys think I should purchase an extended warranty?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. It put my mind at ease about purchasing the rav4.

Since this is my first purchase of a brand new car, I was wondering if you guys think I should purchase an extended warranty?
My personal opinion is no. Take $25, $50, or $100 a month and put them into a savings account in case something breaks down. We've had 6 Toyota cars and I have had to take them into repair once. The 2012 Venza needed a wheel bearing.

That doesn't mean that they don't break down. But they tend to be very reliable. If you have the $$$ and it makes you feel at ease, then do it. I would shop around for the warranty. There is another thread around here with prices for the warranty. You can get it cheaper than what your dealership will most likely offer you.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Check online for Troy from Toyota of Greenfield. Great prices!

I know warranties are money makers for the providers, but I consider that one repair could cost as much as the warranty after which I'm money ahead. It's also transferable if you sell your car, which provides peace of mind to the next buyer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have 5000 miles on our 2019 RAV4 and love it. We get 44.+ mpg all of the time, whether city or highway. This is real 44+ mpg that we calculate, The dash computer is generally reading 43.+. We have had a few instances where the fuel fill up cut off prematurely. We have found that once the pump shuts off, wait about 30 seconds and then top off. It has worked every time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts