Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,

When I first saw that there was a rav4 xse I jumped at the chance to put a down payment on one. I have until friday to either get my downpayment refunded or purchase the vehicle. I was 100% on board until I ran in to this forum. As this is my first hybrid, I already had concerns about what happens when the hybrid battery dies. But the fill up has got me concerned...

For those who have the rav4 hybrid, how many are experiencing the gas tank fill up issue? I know there have been quite a few people but compared to the overall numbers, how many hybrids do you think are affected? I brought the concern to my sales person this past weekend and all they told me was that they knew of the problem but because it does not affect the engine/trans directly, there is not a tsb/recall that toyota is planning to do as of yet.

I get that it does not affect performance, but if we are going to pay in upwards of $39k otd, shouldn't you be purchasing a vehicle without a problem from the beginning? Unfortunately due my previous car dying, I need to purchase a vehicle on friday. It's either the rav4 hybrid or a offroad 4x4 tacoma (i know it's apples to oranges). I love the gas mileage in the rav4, but am a little concerned with paying $39k cash for a vehicle with a problem that toyota does not acknowledge that it's a real problem. Am I just being paranoid?

Thank you for all your input
I have a 2019 xse with 6000 miles. The only problem I have with filling the tank is, it clicks off to quick. I have 2 thing I do. 1, I can let it just click off and know I will get lower mileage. 2. I stand there and I know I can get 2 gallons more if I pull the nozzle out a little and slow down the fill. I do the second one. I hope this helps you out. I too just had a after market hitch installed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys,

When I first saw that there was a rav4 xse I jumped at the chance to put a down payment on one. I have until friday to either get my downpayment refunded or purchase the vehicle. I was 100% on board until I ran in to this forum. As this is my first hybrid, I already had concerns about what happens when the hybrid battery dies. But the fill up has got me concerned...

For those who have the rav4 hybrid, how many are experiencing the gas tank fill up issue? I know there have been quite a few people but compared to the overall numbers, how many hybrids do you think are affected? I brought the concern to my sales person this past weekend and all they told me was that they knew of the problem but because it does not affect the engine/trans directly, there is not a tsb/recall that toyota is planning to do as of yet.

I get that it does not affect performance, but if we are going to pay in upwards of $39k otd, shouldn't you be purchasing a vehicle without a problem from the beginning? Unfortunately due my previous car dying, I need to purchase a vehicle on friday. It's either the rav4 hybrid or a offroad 4x4 tacoma (i know it's apples to oranges). I love the gas mileage in the rav4, but am a little concerned with paying $39k cash for a vehicle with a problem that toyota does not acknowledge that it's a real problem. Am I just being paranoid?

Thank you for all your input
I've never had an issue filling the tank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
New XSE owner here. I'm only 750 miles into mine and I likely have a faulty gauge/tank but I still like the car. When my light comes on and my DTE is at 20 I can only put 11.4 gallons in the tank. My biggest issue is that my MPG is only at 35 but I'm still breaking in the engine so only time will tell if it gets better. I only bought the car because of the 40 mpg and I have yet to see that in the real world.
I only get about 36-37mpg. I think a lot of it has to do with driving style (obviously) and terrain. Hills are a mpg killer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Japan built xse and have a minor problem with fill up. Once the pump clicks off, if I take an extra minute and fill it slowly, I can get an extra 1.5 - 2 gallons in. NOT a major deterrent for me. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Buy it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to be clear is this a problem with the car filling up to full
(pump shuts off prematurely ) or
its ability to detect that you are about to run out of gas ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I want to thank you all for the input and giving me advice instead of criticism. Well I test drive a Tacoma last night and decided it wasn’t for me as a primary vehicle. So I took home the 2019 xse hybrid in blizzard. So far I’m liking it with no regrets. Now on to the roof rack and cargo mat! Looking forward to being on this board on the regular. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
With tens of thousands of cars out there, all of the possible combinations have been reported. Can't fill enough without special double pumping. Can't seem to display the true amount of fuel in the car. And seems to indicate empty too soon. And then there are those who report no problems Or are just not bothered.

I fill to the click, look at the gauge, and maybe 1/6th of the time I have needed jiggle the pump nozzle and fill to the next click if it needs it to get to full. But having plenty of times where I am at or near a gas station, it just isn't that important to me. I've reported it to the dealer and will have a receipt to prove it but asked them specifically not to attempt to fix it until there is a well proven fix.

This is the only problem with my car, I love it. On the scale of what problems a new car could have, this is trivia to me. Others feel differently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The car filling up with gas. Pump shuts off around 10 gallons even when DTE=0.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I only get about 36-37mpg. I think a lot of it has to do with driving style (obviously) and terrain. Hills are a mpg killer!
Majority of my driving is around pretty flat Southern California suburbs so not much in the way of hills. I tend to drive pretty conservatively and avoid driving aggressively if I don't have to. My biggest question is that I seem to get worse mileage driving locally (30-32 MPG) and seem to do better on highways (36-38 MPG). Not sure if there's an issue with my car or if my daily commute (<2 miles) is just not ideal for the hybrid.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Majority of my driving is around pretty flat Southern California suburbs so not much in the way of hills. I tend to drive pretty conservatively and avoid driving aggressively if I don't have to. My biggest question is that I seem to get worse mileage driving locally (30-32 MPG) and seem to do better on highways (36-38 MPG). Not sure if there's an issue with my car or if my daily commute (<2 miles) is just not ideal for the hybrid.
I feel confident it's your short commute. My trip MPG at the end of 5 "city" miles is typically in the low 30s, but after 9 miles it's over 40 MPG.

·
Registered
354 Posts
A short commute is not optimum for any car. First the HVAC is working hard to either cool or heat the cabin. (Ours is a heat pump and there is a bit of delay so this really mostly on ICE engines.) And the ICE typically runs until it is warm and then goes into hybrid mode. It wants to be warm so the oil is doing max lube since it is a start stop engine and those are hard on a cold engine with cold oil.

Having said that, you still seem down maybe 2-4 MPG on the highway. What speeds, what hills, what is your tire pressure, has it been raining, do you use ECO mode, what does your efficiency meter show?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, the RAV4 hybrid has a "sweet spot" of about a minimum of around 10 miles before you get into its prime efficiency range. As mentioned, whenever the engine is cold it will run until it gets to a good "stand-by" temp, regardless of how "efficient" you try to drive.

I wonder if the plug-in hybrid version (if/when it comes out) will have the same mandatory warm-up cycle?

But if you truly have such a short commute then an all electric car would be your best bet if you're looking to maximize environmental impact.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts