Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I bought my used 2009 LE RAV4 last year and the only issue I initially had with it was when there was rain and the CE, ABS, 4WD, and VSC lights would stay on for a day or two.

Lately, the VSC and ABS lights have been staying on and I haven't been able to clear them using the 4-13 jumper method.

When I took my car into the dealership, the told me that my brake lights weren't working and that the ABS actuator wasn't allowing power to be returned and that it would have to be replaced (about 2k to replace). They also stated that I needed an O2 sensor replaced (another 300 dollars.)

They pulled codes C1201, C1422, C1425, and P0607.

I decided to get a second opinion before moving forward with such an expensive repair.

The STOP and ECU-IG2 fuses have a resistance of below 1 ohm.

I am trying to check the stop light switch, but I can't seem to remove it.

I also can't seem to find the brake relay, but if it's behind the glovebox, there's a chance it might have gotten damaged by a faulty windshield replacement that caused water to leak into that compartment.

I don't know where the ABS actuator is as well, but I don't have the equipment to test it, as far as I know.

I pulled the following codes:

ABS: 46 and 49
VSC: 43 and 51
4WD: 38

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
You'll need to have some one familiar with car electrics help you diagnose the brake lights problem. The good news is that simply getting them working may well also eliminate the scary ABS actuator code.

Does the car have a hitch on it? Reason I ask is I got similar expensive codes when I'd inadvertently left the ground wire off my towing taillight converter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same experience with my 2006 RAV4 several years back. The dealer diagnosed the same thing and charged me $1800 to replace
the actuator. The power steering quit working, all the lights were flashing and I could barely limp it into the dealer. I was new in the area
and had no where else to take it. I still think that it was other than that and I have kept the actuator in case I find a way to test it in the
future. I have not seen anyone report this problem before until you and I am very skeptical. I was hoping someone with some knowledge
of this problem would speak up.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hello!

I bought my used 2009 LE RAV4 last year and the only issue I initially had with it was when there was rain and the CE, ABS, 4WD, and VSC lights would stay on for a day or two.

Lately, the VSC and ABS lights have been staying on and I haven't been able to clear them using the 4-13 jumper method.

When I took my car into the dealership, the told me that my brake lights weren't working and that the ABS actuator wasn't allowing power to be returned and that it would have to be replaced (about 2k to replace). They also stated that I needed an O2 sensor replaced (another 300 dollars.)

They pulled codes C1201, C1422, C1425, and P0607.

I decided to get a second opinion before moving forward with such an expensive repair.

The STOP and ECU-IG2 fuses have a resistance of below 1 ohm.

I am trying to check the stop light switch, but I can't seem to remove it.

I also can't seem to find the brake relay, but if it's behind the glovebox, there's a chance it might have gotten damaged by a faulty windshield replacement that caused water to leak into that compartment.

I don't know where the ABS actuator is as well, but I don't have the equipment to test it, as far as I know.

I pulled the following codes:

ABS: 46 and 49
VSC: 43 and 51
4WD: 38

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
This might help you. pdf for ABS actuator

You can check ebay for used one if you need it

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts