Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a buzzing noise on cold starts after tapping the brake and took it to the dealer where after complaining enough, a Toyota Rep listened to the noise and stated this is the ABS Actuator Pump and has been a normal noise since 2009 - 2012. Have any other members heard the same thing in their V6 rav4? Did you get a solution, or were you told the same thing? Thanks

Note - They pulled two vehicles of the same year and model off of their lot and they made the same noise - which I have heard. Additionally this noise is more noticeable when the vehicle is cold and the outside temperature is about 45 degrees and under.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The ABS system is performing a self check, every ABS equipped car (and motorcycle) does this shortly after starting. Some models are louder than others. It's normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WJBertrand. This does it long after it has been started. It does it after 10-15+ minutes of driving in weather under 45 degrees. Is that clarification still under your definition of normal for "shortly"?

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
We have two V-6 models and I've never heard it. Maybe they changed manufacturers in the newer models?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Toyota Rep said 2009 to 2012. Therefore, RTexasF, your vehicles would not have this sound - if that guidance is correct.

Addition: After picking up the Rav4 tonight the Toyota mechanic told me the Toyota Rep immediately knew what the sound was. Therefore this would indicate or possibly suggest a problem the rep has seen before. The noise is audible and bothersome, and the mechanic said he wouldn't like it if his vehicle did it, but they can't repair it unless the rep authorizes it. And since the rep said it was a normal noise, there is no current fix for the buzz.

Of note - The ABS Actuator Pump is different from the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Hopefully this information helps someone - and maybe if there are enough complaints a TSB will be issued.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks WJBertrand. This does it long after it has been started. It does it after 10-15+ minutes of driving in weather under 45 degrees. Is that clarification still under your definition of normal for "shortly"?
Not sure how Toyota has the self checks timed. I believe most cars will periodically self test on a cycle when driving too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts