Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...sc-abs-4wd-brake-lights-no-ce-no-codes-4.html post very help when my wife's 2010 Rav4 showed ABS VSC and 4WD warning lights.

I used the 4-13 jumper method and focused on the ABS error code since the other errors were due to ABS malfunction. The code was 95, which worked out to "Lost Communication with Lateral Acceleration Sensor Module" or the Yaw sensor, which is located under the left front (driver) seat.

I removed the seat and pulled the carpet back. It was obvious a mouse had made a home there. As the photos show, it was gnawed through the wiring.

Rav4 Yaw Sensor Repair - Album on Imgur

At least a problem I could fix! The only thing was there were two blue wires. What idiot thought this was a good idea? I noted one white/striped wire was tied with a blue wire, and subsequent investigation confirmed these were the CAN bus wires and the other blue wire was IGN power.

I repaired the chewed up wires, put everything back together and the error codes were gone.

I figured I'd post this repair in case anybody has a similar issue in the future.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is there are all kinds of remedies by I am not sure any of them have been tested. I left poison for the mice before I buttoned it all up.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Nice repair job! That's exactly how I would have done it. So how did the rodent get in?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I don't know how they got in. I thought I had dealt with them when I put mesh over the cabin filter, but they must have found another way in.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
FYI, this code 95 corresponds with code U0124, which you would probably need Techstream or a code reader that can read Toyota proprietary codes. This is how it's listed in the service manual:

DTC No. U0124/95

Detection Item: Lost Communication with Lateral Acceleration Sensor Module

Trouble Area: - CAN communication system (Skid control ECU to yaw rate and
acceleration sensor)

See Page: BC-130

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, this code 95 corresponds with code U0124, which you would probably need Techstream or a code reader that can read Toyota proprietary codes. This is how it's listed in the service manual:

DTC No. U0124/95

Detection Item: Lost Communication with Lateral Acceleration Sensor Module

Trouble Area: - CAN communication system (Skid control ECU to yaw rate and
acceleration sensor)

See Page: BC-130
Actually you don't need a code reader. I have an OBD code reader but the ABS system is separate. So, as noted, I used the "jumper 4 to 13 and count light flashes" method to determine the code number, then looked it up on the Internet.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Actually you don't need a code reader. I have an OBD code reader but the ABS system is separate. So, as noted, I used the "jumper 4 to 13 and count light flashes" method to determine the code number, then looked it up on the Internet.
\

Yes, I understand, and that method works fine. But Techstream can give other valuable information. A regular code reader can only show the codes in the ECM. Techstream can talk to anything on the CAN bus, and show codes in the anti-skid ECU, ABS, TCM, SRS, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was completely unaware of Techstream: I thought it was an some sort of expensive Toyota OBD tool.

Since I own 4 Toyotas it is probably something I want!

Is there a recommended source for the interface and software?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2012 rav4 limited and the same l
abs and vsc light on, but different codes. I shorted the contacts 4 and 13 and found abs code 94 and vsc 43. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
I got a 2012 rav4 limited and the same l
abs and vsc light on, but different codes. I shorted the contacts 4 and 13 and found abs code 94 and vsc 43. Any help would be greatly appreciated
ABS 94 is Control Module Communication Bus OFF
- CAN communication system

VSC 43 is Acceleration Sensor Stuck Malfunction:
- Yaw rate sensor
- Yaw rate sensor circuit

Download the service manuals listed on my profile page for more information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts