Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 RAV4. Just bought it and trying to get it fixed up and through safety check here in Ontario. ABS light is on. I found out how to get the ABS codes by jumping the diagnostics plug. The codes are 31,32,33,34. That means all four sensors are reporting a signal malfunction. I then reset the codes and it is now just showing codes 31 and 32. I pulled the wires for the front sensors and put a meter across them and they are showing open circuits. Looks like both the front ones are shot?

The best I can get them for is about $ 160 CDN. Anyone know if any other cars, like Corolla, use the same sensors. There are lots of those at the wreckers, and I can get sensors from them for next to nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
101 Posts
My EPC says the front sensors are unique to the RAV, 96-00. Dunno about after 00.

It would certainly be very unusual for all 4 sensors to go bad. Borderline as statistically possible as evolution. Before you go pulling it all apart, if you disconnect the plug at the wheel, what do you read across the sensor? Open? If so, try stripping a little insulation off one wire closer to the sensor itself. Put your ohm meter on that and check against both pins of the plug. One should be near zero ohms. If you read anything on the other one, you have a break in the wire between the sensor and it's harness plug. Do the same thing with the other wire to the sensor, and see if there is anything between the two wires where you stripped the insulation. If nothing, that thing is toast. Now, the sensor itself may be very similar to other vehicles, only the plug and harness could be unique to the RAV. So, if you took the old sensor with you to the junk yard, you might be able to find something that was the same but with a different harness and splice it together.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts