Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just obtained a 2006 Toyota RAV4. Unfortunately the vehicle has ABS. I'm sure there are fans of ABS here but I do not share that love. From what I can find on this site you can disable the Traction Control System but the ABS remains active (I think). Can you disable the nanny ABS system in a 2006 by pulling a fuse or sensor?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just obtained a 2006 Toyota RAV4. Unfortunately the vehicle has ABS. I'm sure there are fans of ABS here but I do not share that love. From what I can find on this site you can disable the Traction Control System but the ABS remains active (I think). Can you disable the nanny ABS system in a 2006 by pulling a fuse or sensor?
Just curious, what don't you like about abs?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
They most likely think ABS makes braking less effective...I have talked to many that think that...you can probably disable ABS by pulling a fuse...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep, lots of people who think they can brake better than ABS.
The only time you're better off without it is on loose surfaces, gravel, deep snow etc, where locking up digs the wheels in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stopping distance is notability longer in deep snow compared to other non-ABS vehicles. The ability to regain control once in a skid or slide is also longer. If you like ABS great, more power to you! But for my area while trudging through deep snow or on compacted ice/snow with studded tires it's not ideal, at least with my driving style.

Not really looking to debate the merits or benefits of ABS here, I'm sure there are die hard fans willing to defend ABS's honor till the cows come home.....

So back to my original question.....Anyone know an effective method of disabling (temporarily or permanently) the ABS system on a 2006 Toyota RAV4.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Disconnecting one of the wheel speed sensors would do it but would probably also disable 4WD like it does when you get a wheel sensor error because one has failed or "has a foreign body attached" as one of the codes reads.
The fuse to pull would be the one that powers the Skid Control ECU if it has a separate fuse.

Keep in mind that the main purpose of ABS is to maintain steering control while braking not necessarily stopping shorter.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is that abs replaces the proportioning valves...if you disable the abs, brake pressure may be sent to all 4 wheels equally...this could have some nasty side effects like locking the rear wheels during a turn and causing a spin out...something to keep in mind...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Keep in mind that the main purpose of ABS is to maintain steering control while braking not necessarily stopping shorter.
I agree. I have done quite a few tests in my RAV4 on snow covered roads.

NORMAL DRIVING
In normal driving I can stop in considerably shorter distances by using threshold braking compared to slamming on the brakes, and letting ABS bring me to a stop. For those not familiar with the term, Threshold Braking is applying the brakes at the highest pressure possible without actually causing a wheel to lock up. (See Wiki Here).

PANIC BRAKING
When a child runs out from behind a snowbank, the instinct is to get on the brake pedal as fast and as hard as possible. This is almost certainly the reaction for an inexperienced driver, and is also very hard for an experienced driver to avoid even though he knows better.

Without ABS, all four wheels will lock up and you will continue traveling in exactly the same direction you were originally headed no matter how you move the steering wheel. If that was towards the child, well..........

With ABS you may not stop in a shorter distance, but you will vastly improve your chances to change the direction in which the vehicle was originally headed, and vastly increase the chance of avoiding the child.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is that abs replaces the proportioning valves...if you disable the abs, brake pressure may be sent to all 4 wheels equally...this could have some nasty side effects like locking the rear wheels during a turn and causing a spin out...something to keep in mind...
This is exactly the problem I experienced with my first ABS vehicle. It was a mini van, and after removing the ABS fuse, the rear wheels would lock up with very little pressure on the pedal. This even occurred on dry pavement. I have never experimented with my RAV4.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Why the hell did you buy a vehicle with ABS in the first place? Sell it and buy a twenty year-old dual range 4WD GMC and be happy. Or not.

ABS is my friend. I know how to use it.
--
Pico in rural MinneSnowta, gravel roads, no roads, the whole deal.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Look in the fuse box under the hood for fuses marked ABS1 and ABS2. Pulling those should disable ABS but might also disable other systems like traction control, vehicle stability control and AWD. And you will see warning lights on the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts