Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you add ABS if you don't have it already? Can it be done? Would it be a lot on $? Had it in my last car and I miss it. Come in handy in snow country (norhwestern Pa).

Just wounding. :?:

·
Registered
880 Posts
bfh48 said:
Can you add ABS if you don't have it already? Can it be done? Would it be a lot on $? Had it in my last car and I miss it. Come in handy in snow country (norhwestern Pa).

Just wounding. :?:
Off the top of my head I think it would require the sensors in the differencials, a new wire harness, a ECU upgrade and the actuators. So this is probably one of those things that would be easier done by trading your Rav in on another one that has ABS.

K

·
0 Posts
Errr yes you can, but the price tag is huge.

Like what tankdog said.

Better off trade your RAV4 for another one with ABS.

C

·
0 Posts
Looked into it on a Jeep Cherokee once, then backed away. The trick of it is that it does require sensors, usually at each wheel. New brake proportioning valve(s) and actuators, new ECU/ABS computer setup, and possibly other various parts.

From what I have read most ABS systems place a sensor at each wheel and require the axle shafts and/or rotors to have some kind of gear to "read" the speed of each tire. This means, most likely, all new shafts/rotors for all 4 wheels to start.

The advantage is that traction control is most likely also using the same wheel speed sensors so you can piggy back that into it too for a little more money. I would agree, unless you don't mind spending $1000+ to have ABS, buy one with ABS.

K

·
0 Posts
Note to everyone:

ABS is only good for the front. Not the back. You cannot steer the back. It's sole purpose is to prevent front wheel lock and inability to steer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
kidong said:
Note to everyone:

ABS is only good for the front. Not the back. You cannot steer the back. It's sole purpose is to prevent front wheel lock and inability to steer.
I'm not really sure to understand what you means.

My Dodge Dakota has ABS on rear wheels only, to prevent the rear wheels lock-up and prevent the rear of the truck goes forward.

Unfortunately, ABS becomes disable when the 4WD is engaged. :(

·
Registered
432 Posts
Who really wants ABS anyway? I found all it does is cause accidents in the snow. I'm so glad my RAV doesn't have it. :D :D
Why do people find it to be a necessity? I say its worthless. :twisted:

·
Registered
880 Posts
dnylrq said:
Who really wants ABS anyway? I found all it does is cause accidents in the snow. I'm so glad my RAV doesn't have it. :D :D
Why do people find it to be a necessity? I say its worthless. :twisted:
Proper 4 wheel ABS will alow you to floor the brake pedal and steer at the same time which is what most untrained drivers do by instinct when suddenly something "appears" in front of them. Doing the same with no ABS will throw the car into a spin, which is why you simply don't do it. Locking the wheels and steering don't mix. ABS has a flaw in that on ice and snow it often will multiply stopping distance because it refuses to lock the wheels and dig into the surface., this is compounded by the fact that salesmen tell people it actually shortens stopping distance in these situations.

·
Registered
542 Posts
car braking systems are designed that the front wheels will lock earlier than the rears (if you can lock the rear wheels at all).

the rational behind this is so that the steering wheel can still be turned with the front wheels locked and the ass end won't spin around you.. same reason why understeer is also 'built-in'. that's one reason i'm not really in favor of having disk brakes on the back!!

you are right about ABS though, they don't work in the snow! people should learn how to drive properly rather than rely on gadgets to do it for them (rav4 drivers are all included in the "know how to drive" category).

trucks braking systems are designed to work best with a load in the back and the rear end can lock & spin when the back is empty & light.. hence the ABS only on the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts