Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll let you know how it works. I wonder if I should jumper the two wires that will make the brake lights operational while I wait for my new (used) relay? And, if so, which two wires they are?

It's really unsafe driving without brake lights, even up here in tiny Lubec, Maine where we have very little traffic. I have been using the running light switch as my brake lights, and only driving during daylight for the past week.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'll let you know how it works. I wonder if I should jumper the two wires that will make the brake lights operational while I wait for my new (used) relay? And, if so, which two wires they are? .
I believe that question is answered in posts #21 and #22

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I did see that earlier, but was stumped.
Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I know which pins are #2 and #8?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks, I did see that earlier, but was stumped.
Please pardon my ignorance, but how do I know which pins are #2 and #8?
Normally the service manuals will have a sketch of the pin numbering, but I don't have a manual for this model year.

In post #15, Overlord475 posted the diagram of A43. The diagram shows that the two pins in question have light blue wires attached. So shorting the two Light blue wires together should give you the bypass you are looking for.

There may also be pin numbering molded into the connector or relay if you have really good eyes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am not sure how the brake ( tail ) light works in newer than 2006 model. The device in questions looks like a voltage and current regulator to me after trying to figure out a schematic from the picture. STP is actually a trigger to initiate full voltage and current to the brake light assembly. So in operation, I got a feeling that as soon as the car is running, the brake/tail light is illuminated at half brightness. The higher output of the LED do not comes on because the forward current is too low. As soon as the brake is depressed, than the controller will send a higher voltage and current to the light assembly, thereby energizing all the LED as well as the center high mount brake light. Newer Rav4 owner can confirm the operation of their car to prove or disprove my theory.

If the above us the case, than substituting a regular relay in place of the controller will cause the brake light to be on at full when the brake is depress but no tail light function at night time. I am wondering if this will be the case.

Anyone out there with the newer Rav4, please chime in with your observation. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
... shorting the two Light blue wires together should give you the bypass you are looking for.
Yes, indeed. A jumper between the two blue wires got me brake lights, extinguished the two lights on the dash (VSC and ABS), and made the cruise control functional. But, since I'd already ordered the used 895A1-46020 relay for $31 (incl. shipping) via eBay, I only needed this temporary fix for a couple of days.

Now, everything is back to normal. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to add to this thread, that I've just gotten this relay replaced at a dealer. They gave me the old relay that had green corosion in the connector area. Prying it open had water line mark in the grey cover. I'm assuming this relay hangs upside down under the dash and water tends to track from somewhere down the wire harness into the connector leaking through the pins into the case shorting out the electronics in time.

IMHO the original posters picture of the circuit board I would diagnose same as mine, water induced electrical failure NOT simply electronics failure.. Look in the gray cover for a water line?

I'm guessing with decent evidence that these relays go out due to water being tracked from some under dash source down the cable leading into this relay. The dealer said: water induced relay failure... My eye balling the connector and prying it open seeing a water line in the gray cover agrees.

I haven't dug behind the glove box area under dash to see if its possible to change the mount for this relay to facing UP, thus the water can't track into the inside of the relay...

Now where is the water coming from?... First I need to dig under my dash. Good luck folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I seem to be having the same issue with my 2009 rav. Where can I find the a43 relay please and where can I purchase one. I'm in the uk??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 BASE 4 AWD, 2014 Sienna LE
25 Posts
A huge thank you to everyone who posted about this problem, it was a big help! Made troubleshooting this so easy and provided a temporary fix so I could still get to work! (y)

Hope someone can help now with a replacement part question? I’m having trouble getting the new part and determining the correct one. (long weekend and Covid-19 shutdown in Ontario, doesn’t help),

The part I took out is clearly marked:

STOP LAMP CONTROL
TOYOTA
895A1-46020

In every search online this is a Lexus part not for the RAV, the correct 2010 Rav4 STOP LAMP CONTROL is a 895A0-46020. Need to know if these are the same item/interchangeable? I know the 895A1-46020 is original and works but may be easier to acquire the 895A0-46020. Any ideas?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Details of my breakdown if curious

• ABS, VSC dummy lights come on suddenly
  • Cruise light flashes when I turn cruise on, doesn’t work
  • No codes when checked with a cheap OBDII reader!
  • Thanks to this forum, used the OBDII pin #4 and #13 jumper to get codes
  • 33 – R-Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
  • 43 – Failure of the ABS sytem
  • 46 – Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor Malfunction (C1246)
  • 49 – Open in Stop Light Switch Circuit (C1249)
  • 69 – Brake System Malfunction ( From Cruise light )
  • Attempt to reset codes with (Key Cycle – Brake tap x8 – Key cycle), didn’t work. This is when I realised I didn’t have brake lights…
  • Confirm FUSE, Stop Light Switch (Pedal), and other items suggested in the forum
  • A43 STOP LAMP CONTROL (Relay), is the problem. Damage on the cct. board like others posted
  • Cleaned connections, Jumped out pins 2 & 8 at A43 to get brake lights working temporarily.
  • All dummy lights off now
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
I don't know if the two part numbers are interchangeable but found the brake light switch for a 2010 RAV4 listed on rockauto.com for $20 from several vendors.
I've bought from Rockauto many times and been very satisfied.
They currently have a 5% discount: RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More -...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if the two part numbers are interchangeable but found the brake light switch for a 2010 RAV4 listed on rockauto.com for $20 from several vendors.
I've bought from Rockauto many times and been very satisfied.
They currently have a 5% discount: RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More -...
Thanks for the link and discount code. Unfortunately i'm looking for the 'Stop Lamp Control', doesn't seem to be listed on the site. Wish it was the $20 part, my part looks to be around $180......

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
Reactions: bobnothing

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A huge thank you to everyone who posted about this problem, it was a big help! Made troubleshooting this so easy and provided a temporary fix so I could still get to work! (y)

Hope someone can help now with a replacement part question? I’m having trouble getting the new part and determining the correct one. (long weekend and Covid-19 shutdown in Ontario, doesn’t help),

STOP LAMP CONTROL
TOYOTA
895A1-46020

In every search online this is a Lexus part not for the RAV, the correct 2010 Rav4 STOP LAMP CONTROL is a 895A0-46020. Need to know if these are the same item/interchangeable? I know the 895A1-46020 is original and works but may be easier to acquire the 895A0-46020. Any ideas?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Details of my breakdown if curious

• ABS, VSC dummy lights come on suddenly
  • Cruise light flashes when I turn cruise on, doesn’t work
  • No codes when checked with a cheap OBDII reader!
  • Thanks to this forum, used the OBDII pin #4 and #13 jumper to get codes
  • 33 – R-Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
  • 43 – Failure of the ABS sytem
  • 46 – Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor Malfunction (C1246)
  • 49 – Open in Stop Light Switch Circuit (C1249)
  • 69 – Brake System Malfunction ( From Cruise light )
  • Attempt to reset codes with (Key Cycle – Brake tap x8 – Key cycle), didn’t work. This is when I realised I didn’t have brake lights…
  • Confirm FUSE, Stop Light Switch (Pedal), and other items suggested in the forum
  • A43 STOP LAMP CONTROL (Relay), is the problem. Damage on the cct. board like others posted
  • Cleaned connections, Jumped out pins 2 & 8 at A43 to get brake lights working temporarily.
  • All dummy lights off now
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried your local salvage yards?

·
Registered
575 Posts

STOP LAMP CONTROL
TOYOTA
895A1-46020
Prius has the same part:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally got the part, installed and everything is working as it should. Thanks everyone!

An interesting note, I ended up ordering the 895A0-46020 as it's listed on multiple sites as the correct 'Brake lamp control' for my Rav4. The part came in a 895A0 marked package but the part itself is marked 895A1-46020, same as the one I removed!

Ordered and got the part ($175 CDN with shipping and tax) through ToyotaPartsDirect.ca, fantastic service! The UAE sites had better prices but because of Ramadan couldn't ship out till the 27th.

As for the 5 Toyota dealerships in the Kitchener-Waterloo area only two responded (online request, no phone numbers). Forbes Toyota answered all my questions but said 2-3 weeks to get the part, Heffner Toyota answered some questions then stopped responding.

The rest and the couple auto-wreckers I contacted never responded at all! I think ToyotaPartsDirect.ca has my business from now on, getting parts shouldn't be this hard.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts